FabFilter User Forum

[BUG] Mac->Win transfer compatibility

For internal workflow reasons I have to move projects from Mac to Win all the time and it's very annoying that ALL Fabfilter plugins fail to work after a project has been transferred from Mac to Windows (and vice versa).

On Mac the plugins are called for example FF Pro-Q 2 and after transfer these can't be found because on my Windows machine the same plugin is called FabFilter Pro-Q 2.

This is especially annoying because I don't just have to replace the filters one by one but I also loose there specific settings.

Any help or fix?

Cheers
lightbox

lightbox

As it was said before, no one will forget they use a FabFilter plugin, so having the name of the developer in the plugin name is pointless.

e@rs

Sorry but you did not mention what DAW you using.
Some hint that help for me on Cubase.
I copied the dlls for the Fabfilter directory into the Steinberg\VSTPlugins-Folder and renamed them
FF Pro-Q2.dll ....
now I can access them in Cubase twice.
One time with the original name the second time with the modified name.
The only "problem" is, that you have to update the dlls in the VSTPlugin-folders manually whem there are enhancements / bugfixes provided by Fabfilten

Hope that helps

Franz

Basically I hope that FabFilter will sort out this issue somehow. The current situation is a serious show-stopper issue for cross-platform projects. I don't even mind if their installer installs 2 versions of the same plug-in(s) to keep compatibility with older projects AND provide future cross-platform compatibility.

Will try to get in contact with support.

lightbox

Hi lightbox,

Unfortunately, this is a known issue in a few of our plug-ins. You can read a detailed discussion about this here:

www.fabfilter.com/forum/1994/fabfilter-pro-c-missing-plugin-in-old-cubase-projects

We're really sorry for the inconvenience this causes, but unfortunately there's no better solution than the work-around described in the topic above.

Cheers,

Floris (FabFilter)

As I told you via mail, there MUST be a solution. You can't afford being (and continue to be) the one and only manufacturer of multi-platform plugins that bust cross-platform projects.

If necessary, you simply have to build 2 versions of each plugin (one for legacy support and another for fixed cross-platform issue). Otherwise you will never ever get out of this bad situation.

lightbox

In the post above, Floris is referring to a problem with the VST3 plugin versions of Pro-C and Twin 2 when transferring projects between Mac and Windows. There is no such problem with Pro-Q 2.

I think that what Lightbox is referring to, is that our AU plugins are named e.g. FF Pro-Q 2, and the VST plugins are named FabFilter Pro-Q 2. If you create a project in a Mac host that supports both AU and VST (such as Live or Studio One), you can't open a project using AU plugins with this host on Windows, because it doesn't know which VST plugin to substitute for the AU parameters that were saved with the project (this problem would be there as well if the name was the same, by the way). The simple solution is to use VST plugins on the Mac side if you care about cross-platform compatibility.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list