FabFilter User Forum

MIDI learn not working in Twin2

Twin2 won't MIDI learn. I'm using SONAR X3 Producer on WIndows 8.1 on a 64 bit laptop and an Edirol PCR-300 controller.

I know that the Twin2 is receiving the MIDI signal, because for example when I move the R1 rotary control on the Edirol, the "Master Tune" knob in Twin2 turns, yet the MIDI signal indicator in the Twin2 on the bottom left does not light up. If I then try to change this control using MIDI Learn in Twin2, it does not work (the knob remains attached to "Master Tune").

When I touch any of the controls on the Edirol, the "MIDI Input / Output Activity" monitor in the Windows notification area, on the bottom right of the taskbar, does blink. So all the controls on the Edirol seem to be working.

I have also checked that I can use the same controls to control other plugins in Sonar, for example the compressor in the "Pro Channel" strip, using ACT learn. So the problem seems to be with the Twin2 (and other Fabfilter plugins) but I cannot be sure.

I've also checked that using Sonar's own MIDI learn, and also ACT, don't work either.

Any help much appreciated!

Chris

Hi Chris,

I found the solution for you. In Sonar, if you want to send MIDI data directly to effect plugins (which is needed for our MIDI Learn feature), you need to set the "Configure as synth" option in the Plugin Manager.

If you e.g. do this with Pro-Q, it will be moved to the soft synth category. You can now insert it on a track, and route a MIDI track to it. However, I could not get it to work with VST 3 plugins, only VST 2.

More information here:
www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=256901

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Many thanks Frederik! I am really impressed with you guys - both the plugins, and FabFilter's customer support, are outstanding.

However unfortunately I still could not get this to fully work, despite following your instructions. Twin2's MIDI Learn is seeing the keystroke midi signals but not the controller signals (rotaries and sliders), judging by the indicator light next to Twin2's MIDI Learn button (and the fact that Twin2's MIDI Learn doesn't work). Although, those same rotaries and sliders are controlling the Twin2, so it is getting the MIDI messages - I just can't change the mapping using Twin2's MIDI Learn.

However I noticed that I was able to use SONAR's ACT, but not FabFilter's built in MIDI Learn, to learn the mappings I need (for both settings of "Configure as Synth", and for both VST2 and VST3). So I'm in much better shape - I just cannot use FabFilter's MIDI Learn. I'm frankly not sure why ACT didn't work before. I will contact Cakewalk to see if they can help - you guys have been great.

Thanks again,
Chris

Chris
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list