FabFilter User Forum

Mono Versions question

Hi there mates. I have a, maybe stupid, question regarding the mono versions of the plugins.
But i need to be sure to avoid future problems.

I noticed that when i load in a track my mono verion of, for example, Pro-Q, the audio becomes mono instantaneously.

This is obvious, but I need to be sure that when loading a mono version, it will keep the sound of those tracks in mono.
Because i wonder whether if it's just the temporary effect of the plugin, or in fact it converts the track in mono for always (when exporting the whole song etc..)

Thanks in advance
Cheers

Robert Camberra

The track is given a mono interleave by the DAW automatically, because the host sees that the mono plugin has just one output.

As long as you always use the mono version of Pro-Q on mono tracks and the stereo version on stereo tracks, your audio's format will remain unchanged.

If you were to place a stereo version of a plugin on a mono track, whether that converts the signal to stereo or not depends on your DAW. Some will switch to a stereo interleave internally and output the mono data on both channels, some will only output one side. It's best not to do that unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Placing a mono plugin on a stereo track will also get you into trouble. This I know from experience!

bitflipper

I understand. Very helpfull, thank you.

Robert camberra
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list