FabFilter User Forum

Meters for Gain Staging in Creative Plugins

These could be in a panel that slides out so as not to impose on current UI, but I would love to have meters for gain staging when working with custom presets that use envelope followers and are fine tuned for a particular input gain.

A left and right VU meter is great for setting the initial input level and then two stacked horizontal meters for input and output level are great for matching the two.

Below these four meters could then be four more for the side-chain signal.

The envelope follower is easily my favorite modulation source. I use it in everything, delays, distortion, filters, etc, but it is very gain sensitive.

A simple example is to open up Saturn, add an envelope filter to the default preset and attach it to B1 Drive. Now just increase and decrease the gain of whatever you are sending into it and note how the saturation changes. To emphasize the effect you can change the distortion to Rectify or Smudge. I love this, but would just like a way to gain stage all my presets more easily, particularly those that I use on vocals which are very fine tuned for very subtle effects. If these weren't gain staged and were created with completely different input levels, then when flipping through them they would be completely off. Currently I gain stage with meters outside the plugins, but it would be great if this was integrated.

Cheers!

Greg Houston

Oops, only need VU meters for the side-chain signal. There is no input/output gain matching in that case.

Greg Houston

Hi Greg,

Good suggestion, we'll definitely consider it!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Has this feature been addressed or is their any sort of workaround that exists within FabFilter currently? I am just learning about this topic, but I am lucky enough to already own FF (but not a VU meter!).

Solomon
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list