FabFilter User Forum

Volcano 2 Ramp / Saw wave

Hey folks, I'm trying to get a good ramp or saw wave to work as an LFO in Volcano 2.

I've built one with 16 steps in the XLFO, but it's pretty 'steppy' sounding even with smoothing applied. I've also found that reducing the number of steps to just 1 makes a ramp, but it's a bit too clicky for the sound I'm trying to get.

Anyone try this before or have any ideas?

T.D.

The general way to make a saw wave with the XLFO is by using the Balance ring around the Freq knob. Try the Sawtooth XLFO component preset that comes with Volcano. You can access this with the small "floppy" icon next to the close icon (X) in the XLFO's title bar.

To make it less clicky, you can slightly adjust the balance to allow a little time for the saw to bounce back.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I don't appear to have the sawtooth XLFO preset, are you sure it's included in the current version (I'm up to date). But thanks for the explanation, it's a great help!

Ross

After a bit of digging I've found that the XLFO in Timeless and Saturn have a sawtooth preset (along with a large number of extra presets) which aren't present in my Volcano XLFO... I tried a reinstall, which hasn't changed anything (I'm on version 2.23)

Any ideas how that's happened? I don't even know where the component presets are stored on my PC.

Ross

Yeah, I noticed the lack of ramp/sawtooth preset in there, too, which prompted me to make this topic. It's there in Timeless, but not Volcano. Funky stuff.

But hey, many thanks for clearing that up, Frederik! I had no idea those balance rings were 'skew' knobs.

With that, I'm off to climb back into the volcano...

T.D.
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list