FabFilter User Forum

Saturn MultiBand and Pro-MB

First of all - thank you SO MUCH for Pro-MB! That plugin is incredible. It's helped my mix so much in ways that other multiband plugins couldn't.

I had posted previously about a "linear-phase" version of Saturn concerning its multi-band splits. Another user proposed 6dB/octave crossovers.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to implement the crossover technology used in Pro-MB into Saturn? I can imagine it might cause difficulty with compatibility, unless perhaps each crossover defaults to the current dB/octave split present in Saturn?

Like I said before, having the ability to use Saturn on the master bus with a clean conscience would be wonderful, and it seems like you've discovered a method to make that possible via Pro-MB.

Thanks

-j

Josh

+1

Would love to see this in Saturn. Just picked up Pro-MB. Amazing plugin.

-Sam

Meedily

We will think about adding linear-phase splitting to Saturn, but perhaps a dedicated subtle saturation plugin for mastering would be better than trying to add more and more features to Saturn...

Unfortunately Pro-MB's Dynamic Phase algorithm only lends itself to applying gain changes, not general signal processing like saturation.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik. I kind of see LP crossovers as an extension of what saturn currently does, splitting audio into different bands for dedicated processing. Sometimes we want it to be obvious, sometimes subtle. Having it in the same plugin would allow us to audition saturn in standard and LP mode and decide which we like best without switching plugs. :) A workflow thing I guess.

But I'm not exactly a developer. I'm sure you have other factors that could inhibit this in Saturn.

-Sam

Meedily

I strongly agree on updating the cross-over filter points, please, even if a little as "minimum-phase" or something.

It doesn't need to be something drastic to feel that you're adding every "bell and whistle", just improving the cross-over points would be definitely something great! (Great for many people since I witness many complaining about cross-over points on multi-band stuff in general on the internet)

Saturn would then be perfect for adding some smooth sounding saturation and subtle tonal changes on the master channel.

Cheers"
3ee

3ee
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list