FabFilter User Forum

Now available: FabFilter Pro-MB

We are proud to present FabFilter Pro-MB, a brand-new multiband compression/expansion plug-in introducing unique workflow and signal processing advancements!

Featuring free placement of bands anywhere in the spectrum and a newly developed Dynamic Phase processing mode, FabFilter Pro-MB combines exceptional sound quality with a new way of thinking about multiband dynamics.

See www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-mb-multiband-compressor-plug-in for more info and downloads.

Enjoy!

Floris (FabFilter)

You are getting better and better!

Thank you so much!

Johannes

Fantastic - Got it :)

Jim Bradley

Didn't even bother testing the demo :P

This is exceptional, just in time for a master!

Oop

I've been hoping this would come. Watched the video, and I'm impressed. How's the latency when in Dynamic Phase mode?

Adam D

Hoping this come to Auria users. What an amazing plugin. Cheers.

Anthony Alves

OK I lasted a full hour before purchasing this time , a record for me.
Love it, brilliant as usual.

Denis Woods

Thank you for that brilliant work!

The sound quality, CPU efficiency and interface ergonomics are perfect!

The only strange thing, as to me, is that in Dynamic Phase processing mode (which in fact is dynamic EQ mode) equal damping of adjacent bands result in non-flat amplitude response (significant peak at crossfade freq. is present). Seems, this is not an immanent feature and maybe can be corrected (e.g. using two consequent symmetric low- and hi-shelve filters with same 'significant frequency' result in flat response, even if not it always can be corrected by realative frequency shift).

Ortseam

A multiband with side chain input (without donating my life savings to Waves)? Yes please!

Checking out the demo this weekend but it seems like you tuned in exactly to my wishlist with this one!

Bas

Hi Ortseam,

You're right, equal damping of adjacent bands doesn't result in a flat amplitude response. We've gone a very long way in getting Dynamic Phase mode to match the frequency response of linear/minimum phase multiband processing, so of course, we've also tried to get the effect you're pointing out here...

But in the end, it turned out to be virtually impossible to achieve this in all different dynamic situations, and more importantly, when actually working with the plug-in in Dynamic Phase mode, the flat-frequency-response-of-adjacent-band property really wasn't needed at all to achieve good results. :-)

Floris (FabFilter)

Hi, Floris!

Thank you for your answer! When "playing" with your plugin, I noticed, that the shape of the curve for one single band is not simply scaling when changing the level (like in most common EQ-s), but slightly changing it's form. Surely, your algorithm is more complicated, then I've expected. In my assumption I was grounding on my experience of making multyband "compressors" of a chain of "Band-shelve" EQ-s(HiFreq Lo-shelve EQ with minus gain in pair with LoFreq Lo-shelve EQ with the same plus gain)with gain parameters controlled by appropriate level detectors. In my case the response was flat in any level of attenuation equal for all bands.

Ortseam

Thank you for this fantastic plug in! <3

task horizon

@Ortseam: With the system you describe, you'll find that the shelves do not give the same frequency response as normal band splitting when the crossovers are near to each other. We did a ton of work to approach the normal multiband frequency responses as closely as possible, so you can switch between modes without totally changing the sound.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

@Frederik: Thank you for your explanation. And once more fore your brilliant work :) I'll think about purchasing this plug in near future.

Ortseam

hi - why when in basic 3 full band preset and i mute each band do i still hear a signal ...where from ?

mark

Hi Mark,

In Dynamic Phase mode, we approximate muting bands like it works in the other modes, but this doesn't cancel out perfectly. That's why you still hear some residue signal, which is also clearly shown by the display. This is similar to the effect described by Ortseam above.

Let me put it this way. Dynamic Phase mode has very important advantages: zero latency, no static phase changes (like Minimum Phase) or pre-ring (like Linear Phase). It closely approximates the behavior of "normal" multiband processing, but in some cases, like muting all bands, or placing bands next to each other, it works slightly differently.

If you don't want that, by all means use Linear Phase which also produces very good results.

Minimum Phase has two faces. If you use 6 dB/oct slopes throughout, it also doesn't introduce static phase changes and is very suitable for mastering. It's capable of steeper filtering than you would expect in this case.

However, with higher slope settings, the static phase changes are very audible. You can use this for creative purposes, but in our opinion this is not suitable for general mixing/mastering use. (Note that some other multiband compressors offer this as their only processing mode!)

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list