FabFilter User Forum

Fabfilter plugins crashing Studio One

Hey guys at fabfilter, I was just trying the demo for Pro-Q, Pro-L and Timeless and I've noticed that when using Studio One there was sometimes where I opened a fabfilter plugin UI and my PC would just crash (The audio got stuck on repeat like "brrrrrr") and while sometimes I could, after a while, ctrl+alt+delete (this would give me the chance to get back to S1 for a couple of seconds to save the project) and quit, sometimes it would just freeze giving me no option than resetting my computer (I believe it was a blue screen without blue screen, weird I know).

I've tried the plugins on FL Studio and while it didn't crash FL, it sometimes got stuck for a couple of seconds after which I could continue my work.

The problem is that its random when it happens, so I cant give you guys a step by step guide to replicate the problem... I tried to explain it the best I could, hope you can guys figure whats going on here cause your plugins are the only ones that cause this issue (its a shame cause they're really good)

If you figure out what causes this please let us know!

Thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom,

We are not aware of any bugs in our plugins that could cause this. No other reports for crashes in Studio One. If you get a crash again, can you do the following, before closing Studio One:

- Right-click on the taskbar and click Task Manager
- In the Processes tab, locate Studio One, right-click and click Create Dump File
- Send the dump file (which will be large) to us with e.g. Wetransfer

This will allow us to analyze the crash and possibly find out what's going on.

Do you have any other issues with your PC? Do you use overclocking etc?

Thanks!

Frederik (FabFilter)

I don't have any issues with my PC, I'm not overclocking, i'm using a 2009 Mac Pro with bootcamp (Windows 7). I'll try and get a dump file if I can, but i'm not sure i'll be able too since it freezes my pc and after I reset it and windows boots up I get a "Windows have recovered from an unexpected shutdown" and I when I click on details I get some fields, from what I can remember now it said Blue screen type error as description and the code was 124.

I'll try my best to get that dump file!

Tom

Well, if you get a blue screen error, that definitely points towards some kind of device driver problem. A bug in a plugin should never cause this, only device drivers and other kernel-mode software can blue-screen a PC.

Maybe try to update your audio device driver to the latest version? Also try unplugging your USB devices -- sometimes they interfere with each other.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Thanks, will try and i'll let you know

Tom

Hey guys, I've continued testing and im pretty sure there's something going on on your plugins, because I just opened a project which had Pro-L on the master and as soon as I opened Pro-L to see something on the GUI it crashed, it seems that the plugin itself is not the problem but it conflicts when (not always) when you open the plugin's GUI or you have the GUI open for a while.

Hope this helps!

Tom

Can you try turning off graphics acceleration?
www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/18/how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Perhaps our use of OpenGL acceleration does not play well with your graphics drivers.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Just wanted to let you know guys that since I disabled graphics acceleration it didn't crash my pc anymore (knocking on wood here), so thank you! (although the fluid graphics were really nice :) ). Do you guys have any clue what may be happening with the OpenGL accel and hang ups? maybe its something in my system I can fix!

Thanks!

Tom

Try updating your graphics drivers to the latest version. Also, can you let us know which graphics card and OS version you are using if the crashes persist with the latest drivers? You can use the contact link at the bottom of this page.

Thanks,

Frederik (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list