FabFilter User Forum

Piracy

Hi there Fabfilter, I hope that you see this. I really love your "volcano" filter. It is simply amazing. Unfortunately I had no money to pay for it so I torrented it. However before I torrented volcano I decided that I would still pay for it once I got enough money. I thought I'd let you know that I had no intension of ripping you off, please forgive me :(

Guilt

You should pay some leasing money untill you buy it.. :)

JJ

Ill just buy another program haha, but I got my pay check so I can buy it now :D

Guilt

so you are demanding respect for being a thief or else you won't buy their program?...I'm in disbelief at your self entitled attitude. You could have just as easily downloaded their demos to test out. Small software companies like softube are the ones being hit the most by piracy and for you to come here and spew nonsense is not even worth their reply or time.

dylan

What did you even read what I said? I'm not demanding anything... I was getting warning messages so I thought I'd try to let them know that I wasn't ripping them off. And what difference does it make if I torrented it versus getting the demo when I was planning on buying it.

Guilt

you are demanding respect and forgiveness, when you clearly know that you will never get either from yourself (judging by the clear state of psychosis and denial you are in) or the companies you pirate from. I know what its like because I've been there myself. "Planning" on buying it doesn't mean you are...and you won't, so you came here looking for a fight to justify your actions by taking a crap of a thread. Its purely psychotic and unwanted by any software developer, not to mention any boasting or even mention of the act, non-the-less on their own turf.

dylan

the difference between a torrent "demo" and an official demo supplied by the originator may seem small but it has a name. its called copyright violation. and theoretically, someone could get sued.

potato patato.

district attorney

This could be a very interesting thread. There appears to be an ethics of innocence evolving regarding the issue of media piracy on the world wide web?

fauxpa

Dylan --> I'm calling you out as a troll, but I'll respond anyway... As I said in my second post I have boughten the program. Although it might be hard for you to believe, there is such a thing as an honest person. Also, like I said before, I've demanded nothing; you simply think I have. You have also made the assertions that I'm looking for a fight, boasting, and that I'm full of myself. I am sorry I rubbed you the wrong way, you clearly have some problems when it comes to these sort of things.

D.A. --> I know the risks involved with torrenting, however since I was a student without a job I did not know how long it would be until I could buy the program. I saw torrenting as a way for me to use the program until I managed to raise enough money to pay for said program.

Fauxpa --> It would appear so.

Guilt

Guys!

Although we appreciate your enthusiasm, honesty and love for our plug-ins, please keep in mind that this is a support forum;

it's meant for FabFilter users to contact us and other users directly to ask questions, report bugs and discuss features...

So let's consider this discussion closed now :-)

Thanks!

Floris (FabFilter)

Sorry for the trouble :)

Guilt

fuck you fabfilter, I love using your cracked torrented plugins stop telling me I got a virus!! I'm gonna make money off your plugins whether you like it or not!!

John

I think that software thieves are SCUM of the earth!!! These brilliant Fabfilter programmers deserve to be paid handsomely for their hard work coming up with fantastic software....And in fact they are a great value and very inexpensive...If you don't have the money, then get off your lazy fucking ass and go earn it like the rest of us do...Who in the hell gives you the right to steal?? I hate people like you...Your the kind of scum that screws it up for all of us! Eat shit and die you thieving assholes!!

Mike

im sad for these poor ppl

Jack Hoff

This thread is a great example of why it's so beneficial for software companies to allow some degree of piracy to occur.

Winrar is a perfect example of a company that has taken full advantage of this. Winrar isn't free, yet they "allow" users to continue to use the product after the trial has ended. Why? Well because if they didn't, you would just download a free alternative instead and forget about Winrar forever.

Software companies do not care much for your average joe just messing around at home. In reality that's not where the money is. Like take photoshop for example. We literally use "photoshopping" as a term for pretty much any editing of a photos composition. It has become a common word in our vocabularies.

Now photoshop didn't become such a staple because so many people were rushing to spend $800 on it. It is so iconic because it was so easy to pirate it. Why would anyone develop a cheaper alternative to compete with photoshop when people are just gonna pirate photoshop anyways?

Also when you catch a pirate you can simply just threaten them with a lawsuit if they don't purchase the software, almost 100% guaranteeing a sale as the software is always cheaper than the lawsuit.

Pirates are crucial to the success of software companies as they are the force that keeps the software on the map. If photoshop was impossible to pirate, the talk of the software never would have left the professional setting and become a common word even your grandma knows.

Sure software companies lose some money, but they make it back in the increase in sales due to a marketing effect.

Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list