FabFilter User Forum

Noise bug!

Hello,
No other VST causes this. Here are the image links.
Altering any of the setting in ProQ does not help.

img171.imageshack.us/img171/1002/c5noisewithfabon.jpg
img651.imageshack.us/img651/3809/c5noisewithfaboff.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Pyare

/Clown mode/
Gives it that analog feel!
/Clown mode/

Akazi Shabur

Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. I've already replied to your e-mail, but in short:

In the first picture (the one with Pro-Q enabled), Pro-Q's global bypass switch (in the bottom bar of the plug-in window), is switched on. This means that Pro-Q isn't doing anything with the signal. It's passing its input unchanged back to the host... So theoretically, this would mean that the problem can't be Pro-Q.

I also notice that you have two limiters, both boosting the signal 24 dBs. This means that, for example, if you initially had a noise floor around -130dB, it will end up around -80dB... Please be aware of that.

I would still like to investigate this a bit further, so could you send us the Cubase project file, with which you tested?

Thanks!

Floris (FabFilter)

With an empty track or no input signal, Cubase always synthesizes a very small signal -- presumably to guard against denormal problems.

What you're doing here is basically amplifying that signal until it becomes measurable.

Steinberg's VST3 plugins, when presented with a buffer marked as empty, also return a buffer marked as empty. For a variety of reasons, our plug-ins do not (yet) do this, so the buffer is no longer marked as empty and the 'empty' signal will subsequently be amplified. That's why you seem to need an instance of Pro-Q to get this effect. You can replace Pro-Q by any VST 2 plugin to get the same effect.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi everyone at FabFilter! Actually this noise of FabFilter Pro-Q 3 appears in every DAW I use, in Logic, Pro Tools, Studio One, Cubase. So, Steinberg Cubase doesn't have to do anything with that noise. It's a FabFilter bug. I just wonder why it wasn't like that before FabFilter Pro-Q 3? Pro-Q 2 doesn't have that. Get it fixed, please.

Yuri

Can't confirm. Also using ProTools, FL, StudioOne - not the slightest noise. Not with ProQ1, ProQ2 or ProQ3. Not with VST2, VST3 or AAX.

Henning
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list