FabFilter User Forum

Pro-Q improvements

Hi!

Downloaded and installed the Pro-Q to my Logic 9 which I use for mastering.

I think it sounds great and works good! I have a few things:

1. It would be nice to use the scroll-wheel on the mouse to control the Q-width on each band. (and just have to hold the cursor over the band and scroll the Q-width, no need to click the band to adjust it) Look to DDMF LP10 and how the deal with this issue!

2. Try to add a Bell-filter at 80Hz and then try to Mute/Unmute that band when the music is playing. The result is a "bump" in the speakers, sometimes quite load. I guess this is a bug.

3. The M/S thing is cool but it seems it lacks the possibility to eq the Mid only? It can eq Left and Right separately and simultaneously but I can't find a way to eq Mid only? (I use Mid-eq much more than side-eq's)

Just tell me you're gonna look into this and I will definately buy the Pro-Q/C bundle!

Mastering audio

We are already planning to release a 1.01 update on Monday that will address issues 1 and 2 (among other things). :-)

Regarding 3, you can easily EQ the mid signal only. Starting with no EQ bands, enable Mid/Side mode in the bottom bar, add a new EQ band, and then set it to 'M' using the M/stereo/S buttons at the left of the selection controls.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Other improvement ideas:

-Operate at 64 bit double precision

-Have an up-sample mode (2x is fine). In my experience this really improves high end boosts when working with 44.1 or 48 material.

Mark

Not sure this is the proper thread but I expected this EQ to support VST3 with Sidechain.

Is there an environmental update in the works?

mister gibson

@Mark: We already use 64-bit double precision internally where needed to improve sound quality. It's debatable whether it's worth it to also support 64-bit "external" precision, we certainly haven't had many requests for that yet.

Also, the algorithms in Pro-Q already provide excellent behavior at the high end of the spectrum when using 44.1 or 48 kHz sample rates, but we'll look into internal oversampling for future updates / new plug-ins.

@Mister Gibson: What would you want to use the side chain for in an EQ?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi!

Still using the demo and like it a lot.
I have one thing:

I don't like decimals on the frequency.
It says 1609.7Hz, I think it's distracting, sometimes look as 16097Hz to me.

And this one too:
23.688Hz Q 0.455 ..... :)

I think you should remove the decimals. No need to be that specific, especially when the steps in freq are quite big.

Fredrik?

Mastering audio

I agree. No need for decimals for frequency's.

Mark

Actually, we think that the decimals are quite useful. Of course, since frequency is a logarithmic scale, you'll see more decimals in the lower frequencies than in the higher ones.

Due to optimization, most equalizers don't even offer the possibility to set a frequency like 1000.3hz... but Pro-Q does! :-)

Floris (FabFilter)

I think the point is nobody can hear the difference between a 1000.3k boost and a 1000.9k boost let alone a 1000k and 1007k boost. Even in the low end a boost/cut at 37hz will sound indistinguishable to the same boost/cut at 38hz.

Its all good. I don't see it as a real problem but do recognize and agree with the original posted of this topic that it is not necessary by any means to have decimals for frequency.

Could be a "back panel" option. Perhaps you could simply select "show freq decimals" or "turn "freq decimals off".

Mark

Any plans on offering 64bit aax support?
I love my pro-q. I put it on every track, literally.
But it'd be nice to free up Native processing and run it off of my HDX card.

thanks!

Monty

We'll provide 64-bit AAX versions once the 64-bit version of Pro Tools is officially released.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)
Reply to this topic Go to the forum topic list