FabFilter User Forum

Q3 makes Hindenburg Journalist crash

I use some of the fabfilters on a host called "Hindenburg Journalist". I have installed the 64bit and the 32bit version of the filters. C2 and G works fine. But since a re-download and a re-install on a new computer, Q3 makes the application crash. Q3 on Davinci Resolve works like a charm. I guess "Hindenburg Journalist" uses the 32bit version, Davinci Resolve the 64bit version. "Hindenburg Journalist" itself seems to be fine. No other problems with that software and other effects. Any ideas?

Sascha Schwarz

The difference to my old computer: It's Windows 11 now, in case that is relevant.

Sascha Schwarz

Hi Sascha,

Not a lot of applications still run in 32 bit nowadays, but it's possible. When are you getting the crashes? Is it reproducible?

You could try to disable graphics acceleration:

www.fabfilter.com/support/faq#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph. I've tried the new entry in the registry. It didn't solve the problem. The host application crashes literally EVERY time I use Q3.

All other fabfilters work fine.

Sascha Schwarz

Hi Sascha,

I've just tried Pro-Q 3 on Hindenburg here but I don't get any crashes. Can you send us a crash report?

Ralph (FabFilter)

Ralph, do you use Windows 11 like I do?

This is the crash report from Windows Event Log:

AppName Hindenburg.exe
AppVersion 1.65.2168.0
AppTimeStamp 59ef388e
ModuleName FabFilter Pro-Q 3.dll
ModuleVersion 3.2.6.59
ModuleTimeStamp 66582b49
ExceptionCode c0000005
FaultingOffset 00125c9e
ProcessId 0x1470
ProcessCreationTime 0x1db11c513acb2d5
AppPath C:\Program Files (x86)\Hindenburg Systems\Hindenburg\Hindenburg.exe
ModulePath C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins\FabFilter Pro-Q 3.dll
IntegratorReportId c25e2d5d-2b8e-4e39-9c08-10044764a838
PackageFullName
PackageRelativeAppId

ChatGPT explains:

ExceptionCode: c0000005 – This is a "memory access violation", meaning that the plugin tried to access memory that it wasn’t allowed to, which typically happens due to bugs in the code or incompatibilities between the plugin and the host application.

FaultingOffset: 00125c9e – This points to the specific location in memory where the crash occurred within FabFilter Pro-Q 3's code.

Do you do remote support? We urgently have to find a solution, as I need this for professional reasons and right now I am not able to work with it.

Sascha Schwarz

I've tried on my old computer and I can confirm: Hindenburg uses the 32bit version and it works. The difference: old computer was von Windows 10, new one is on Windows 11. Does the 32bit version of "Q" have a problem with Windows 11? Other fabfilter plugins work fine.

Sascha Schwarz

Hi Sascha,

All our current plug-ins work fine on Windows 10 and 11, both 32 and 64 bit. I'm afraid this is an issue with Hinderburg and not with our plug-ins.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: