FabFilter User Forum

Surround Channel Order

I recently purchased (and love) the entire Suite of Fabfilter products.
Especially purchased for for the Multi-Channel Surround Capability in Pro-L2, Pro-Q3, and most importantly Pro-R2.
Awesome & sounds great!

I have only recently started delving into 5.1 & 7.1 Surround projects,
and I realize there is no One Industry Standard for Surround Channel Order, but is there any way to rearrange the Metering Display section of the plugin (and more importantly how Pro-R2 applies it's FX), so that it coincides with the Channel Line-Up that I'm working with?

In my case, I'm using the Dolby/DTSHD Standard for 7.1 (and my physical equipment monitoring):
L R C Lfe LssR LsrR

Yet the Pro-R2 Plugin channel order (and I assume how FX are applied) is:
L C R LssR LsrR Lfe.

For instance if I'm using the plugin on an 8 ch. (7.1) track/bus
(with C on 3 & Lfe on 4, etc.)
Isn't Pro-R2's algorithm applying FX for R on track/bus 3, and Ls on track/bus4?

And isn't Pro-R2 applying the FX for Lfe on my srR bus(8)?

If so, is there a way to change the applied FX (and the Meter Monitoring) Channel Order to correct this?

Craig

Hi Craig,

There currently is no possibility to re-route the channel order of a plug-in. What DAW are you working in? There are indeed multiple standards, but it should work out of the box in most hosts.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Thank you Ralph for your response!

I use and prefer REAPER.

After delving into it further, and individually testing to see which FX outputs are applied to which Track Channels, I found that the all Channels output correctly (to my L R C Lfe LssR LsrR setup). Amazing!

Even though the displayed Meter Channel Order is different (L C R LssR LsrR Lfe)(and the display order can't be changed), the Pro-R2 'Magically' figures out how to properly assign the outputs to my (L R C Lfe LssR LsrR) format.
PFM!

I read that some users are re-routing to correct the channel order to their desired format, but there's no need for that in my case.
I'm impressed!

All your FabFilter plugins Sound Great!
Why did I ever waste $$$ on anything else?!

Thank you!

Craig

Reply to this topic: