FabFilter User Forum

Preset files could not be opened on MacOS Sonoma

Lately, I've been having this problem where I can't open any preset on any of the fabfilter plugins.
When I try to open a plugin, I get this popup message:
"The preset file could not be opened.
Incorrect file permissions or corrupt preset file."
I have tried to reinstall all plugins, restore factory presets, I checked the files' and folder's permissions and they all have read & write.
I'm using Logic Pro X 10.8.1 on MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1 on Apple Silicon M1.
Does anyone have a fix for this?
Thanks!

Ori

Hi Ori,

Unfortunately this sometimes happens and it seems to be a permissions problem that's related to the sandboxing that Logic does, but it's deeper and more hidden than just the read/write setting that you can access from the Get Info panel in the Finder.

Can you try this?

- Move your presets folder to your desktop so you have a backup and there is no presets folder in the original location anymore.
- Start Logic and open our plug-ins. They will reinstall the factory presets at this point.
- Can you now open the factory presets from Logic?

You can now copy any additional presets back into your new presets folder from the folder on your desktop, but don't move the entire folder as this will restore the incorrect permissions.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Ori,

if that does not work it could be an issue with the files offloading from your computer and onto your iCloud. Could you see if disabling "optimize Mac storage" in your iCloud settings the system preferences makes a difference? If not, could you temporarily disable desktop and documents sharing at all?

Please see here:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT206985

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi there, i have the same issue, just installing my new macbook pro M3, cant' use the presets.
But can you please tell me in a simple way how to do what you described above? I am not a technical person.

Please please please (what folders, where can i find these)?

Thanks for reading.
Sandra

Sandra Sewtahal

Hi Sandra,

go to iCloud in your system settings and in iCloud Drive settings disable Desktop and Documents folder. The link below should explain it:

support.apple.com/en-us/109344

Ralph (FabFilter)

I'm experiencing this issue (seemingly) out of the blue.

Went to use R2 and received "The preset file could not be opened. Incorrect file permissions or corrupt preset file."

I then updated all my FabFilter plugins, and the issue persists.

Specs:
Sonoma 14.3.1
MacBook Pro 16", (Late '21) M1 Max, 64 GB RAM
Logic Pro 10.8.1

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

please check the post above, it's very likely an issue of iCloud offloading your files to the cloud and removing the local version on your Mac.

Ralph (FabFilter)

For me, it appeared to be iCloud. I went to Documents > FabFilter > Presets. There was a little cloud icon with a down arrow. Clicked that and that downloaded the files. After that, the presets were working again.

@FabFilter,

Is there a way to set an alternate location for your preset files? I like having my Documents folder synced to the cloud.

Ethan

The solution Frederik suggested solved the issue for me.
Moving the preset folder to the desktop and then restarting logic.
Thanks a lot!

Ori

I did what Ethan recommended, and it worked for me. The presents folder was in my documents folder, and it defaulted to being in the cloud. When I clicked the icon to download the presets, they worked again.

D Rod Father

I have tried everything suggested, but still no presets. I now want to scream....pause....scream....ok, better.
here is an error message I keep getting

www.dropbox.com/s/zazaq1ljlv6lbxi/Screenshot%202024-08-28%20at%209.46.09%E2%80%AFPM.png?dl=0

My system
M1 Studio: 4tb SSD 128GB Ram
OS 14.5 Sonoma

Tommy Lockett

Ethans solution worked fine for me.

René

If your installation file is locked or inaccessible, you may need to change the permissions. blockblastgame.org

Tima

Reply to this topic: