FabFilter User Forum

Pro R2 No Force Multichannel/Multi-Out Option?

How do we enable multi-out / multichannel out on R2? It seems it will only allow it on multichannel busses and tracks, but how do we allow multi-out even if we want to run it on Stereo tracks? e.g. in Bitwig I would place say a mutlichannel synth or fx and then add the multichannel outs so I can then e.g. route a 7.1.4 output to Dolby Atmos Renderer. Fabfilter seems to have no way of allowing this. Even the VST2 seems to be limited to stereo on a stereo track? Why limit it like this?

Sam

Hi Sam,

The general way to do is to create a bus with a multichannel format, and create a send from the stereo track to this bus. For example, in Cubase 12, I can put Pro-R 2 on an effect track with a 7.1.4 format. A stereo send arrives on the L and R front channels and produces surround output. So basically, Pro-R 2 configures itself to the format of the track or bus it's inserted on.

As far as I know, Bitwig doesn't support multichannel effects like this however.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

In general, the plugins are merely multichannel plugins which can be fed into Atmos (ADM). Anything you hook in multichannel track it naturally only serves for monitoring. However, in Dolby Atmos Composer (very similar to Dolby Atmos Renderer), there is a Reverb plugin, Spacelab Interstellar (and the simpler version, Spacelab Ignition) where you can insert the reverb and manipulate it as an object/bed. This has been a very interesting experience for me. I hope that FabFilter will soon develop this mechanism for its plugins, especially for the Compressor Pro-C2. Unfortunately, "PSP Aural Comp" and "Waves Spherix Immersive Compressor & Limiter" work as multichannel, they cannot be manipulated within the Dolby Atmos renderer.

EDIVALDO ARRUDA

Reply to this topic: