FabFilter User Forum

R2 no mono or stereo to surround instances supported?!

Hi there,

I'm testing R2 and it seems like I can not have a mono to 7.0 instance in an Aux in ProTools?
Not even stereo to 7.0 in a stereo aux? Only 7.0 to 7.0?

Please tell I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Hans

Or is this a restriction of the demo?

Hans

Talking about AAX.

Hans

Hi Hans,

The current version of Pro-R 2 does not have up mix options other than mono to stereo. We are investigating adding this to a future version, but I can't make any promises.

However, you can make a 7.0 aux track in Pro Tools if you use it as a send effect.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Yes, I can make a 7.0 aux but film sessions often have a ton of mono and stereo sends which can not be assigned to inputs for 7.0 auxes.

Hans

Seems like an oversight to me. All other surround reverbs used on films offer mono to mono all the way up to mono to 7.1.2 formats on lower format aux returns. Stratus, Acon, etc. etc.
Never seen anyone use 7.1.2 sends on a film mix just to get to a reverb.
hm....

Hans

This is a huge oversite. The paradigm of mono to surround sends is the norm in post work and FanFilter has to fix this asap. Honestly had I known this I would have passed on the upgrade.

Also where are some presets for post work? Seems like this was never intended for post work which is really surprising considering how many people use FabFilter plugins in post.

Tim Nielsen

Came here for this! This is a huge oversight.

FabFilter - the way the vast majority of mixers use multichannel reverbs is to send a mono or stereo send to the reverb, and have the reverb handle the channel conversion to the larger format. In an existing mix template with mono or stereo sends from the source tracks, incorporating this reverb involvs jumping through some annoying hoops. I'd have to make new sends multichannel sends and re-assign to each individual source track, or make an extra aux track that daisy chains to a surround aux track that that this plugin can run on.

Hope you are able to address this please!!!

Michael Feldman

Got it! We'll do what we can to address this in an update.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

You can create a 7.1 or 5.1 or whatever aux path and autocreate the subpaths. Instantiate the plug on the aux of desired width, then instantiate your send from your mono or stereo track to the mono or stereo subpath - that works and follows main panning, etc. Not super graceful, and it makes for a messy I/O page, but it works.

Rich Breen

There also seems to be an issue with outputting the multichannel options. When the VST2/3 plugin is on a Stereo track, it won't allow me to output more than Stereo like other multichannel usually do, especially in VST2 rather than VST3. Other multichannel VST plugins and DAWs will usually allow you to output however many channels you set. e.g. take say Sound Particles Synth. You place it on a Stereo track, select 9.1.6 output format and then route the 9.1.6 outs of the plugin to say Dolby Atmos Renderer. No need for it to be on a redundant 9.1.6 track, it's only ever receiving stereo input, you just need the multi-outs enabled fabfilter ; )

Sam

Reply to this topic: