FabFilter User Forum

Pro Q3 crashing every DAW/locking system up

Hello!

Have been experiencing some weird crashes with Pro Q3 with the previous 2 updates - v3.22 and 3.23. It is sometimes repeatable, other times it is random. 99% of the time the system beach balls then completely locks up with audio playing in the background. This has happened in Pro Tools Ultimate, Ableton Live 11, and the latest Reaper. I have to do a hard reboot to the system holding down the power button. When I do this Pro Tools does not generate a crash log. Ableton sometimes will save the crash log, other times it wont. Reaper I don't get any prompts.

Steps to Reproduce:
- Pro Tools -
- Play project with Q3 on
- Open instance of Q3
- Move eq point

-Ableton Live-
- Open instance of Q3
- Move eq point
- Close Q3 Window

-Reaper-
- Open instance of Q3
- Move eq point
- Close Q3 Window

I figured this problem may be address with the latest update but sadly it seems worse now in Ableton than it did before.

System:
2017 iMac Pro
Mojave 10.14.6

Thanks!

Black Diamond

We’re having this issue too on a fresh install of mojave with the latest and second-latest versions of pro tools (as of July 2023) …. Pro-MB and Pro-Q will cause random hangs while we use them and we get the spinning wheel of death and have to force restart the computer… intel mac

Future Fields

That's strange.. since you say it started happening after 3.22, could you see if reverting back to 3.21 makes a difference?

www.fabfilter.com/downloads/ffproq321.dmg

Ralph (FabFilter)

Sadly Pro Q 3.21 also caused the crashing issue in Pro Tools.

Here is a picture of what the screen looked like when it locked the system up most recently (it has happened a few times). It seems to only happen DURING playback. No crashes if the audio is paused and adjustments are made.

www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/199yk278gbsa4klq81kny/ProQ3Error.JPG?rlkey=xpw3pm6qxprc7jcjo0r9pmm8e&dl=0

I have tried the terminal commands to disable the gui enhancements in terminal, as well as tried using an AMD RX580 in a thunderbolt enclosure to make sure it wasn't a hardware related issue. This only happens with Pro Q3.

Black Diamond

Reply to this topic: