FabFilter User Forum

Fabfilter plugins freeze Reaper

Fabfilter plugins such as C2 and Q3 freeze Reaper when focusing on the plugin UI. When this happens, the only solution is to force quit Reaper. Upon opening the project again, it will instantly freeze again once the plugin UI is focused, making it impossible to work with FF plugins in Reaper.

This has been happening for quite some time now, at least a year. I have latest versions of both Reaper and Fabfilter plugins. I use Windows 10. The issue happens both with VST2 and 3 versions.

I suspect this happens when the plugin window is active on non-primary monitors. Similar issues are mentioned also at:
www.fabfilter.com/forum/topi...nitor#comment0
www.fabfilter.com/forum/topic/5858/pro-q-3-is-making-my-daw-crash#comment0
www.fabfilter.com/forum/topic/2933/pro-g-crashes-reaper-100-repro#comment0

To repro:
1. open a new project in Reaper
2. Create a track
3. Add a C2 VST3
4. Move the FX Chain window to a secondary monitor
5. Close any free floating plugins so that they are docked in the FX Chain window
6. Insert another C2 instance in the FX Chain window
7. Interact with the plugin
8. Enjoy the infinite freeze

This has made it impossible for me to use any FF plugin, which has become essential in my workflow, hence disturbing my work greatly. Please have a look into this major issue.

Can Uzer

I must add I have an AMD system. This never happened on my earlier Intel system using the same monitors.

Can Uzer

Hardware acceleration is off.

Can Uzer

Thats the exact same problem i have as well! Any news on that?

Spananii

I would like to add, that this happened to me as well on an intel system. Q3, C2 and also R are the big problem.

Spananii

I can also repro it like this:

1. open a new project in Reaper
2. Create a track
3. Add a Pro-Q3 VST3
4. Move the Pro-Q3 window to a secondary monitor
5. Add a Pro-R VST3
6. Close the Pro-Q3 window
7. And try to close Pro-R
8. Infinite freeze

Spananii

Hi Spananii & Can Uzer,

I've been trying to reproduce the issue here, but have not yet been able to. We have released a general update a few weeks ago which included some graphics bug fixes. Could you see if updating to the latest version makes a difference?

Thanks in advance.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph,

i tried it again today with everything updated, but the problem persists.

Spananii

I've just tried to reproduce this but I can't get Reaper to freeze. I suspect that it's a graphics driver issue.

Could you try to create a dump file when the freeze occurs? To do this on Windows, right-click the taskbar when the freeze has occurred, and click Task Manager. In the list of tasks, locate Reaper. Right-click it and click Create dump file. Save the file to disk, and send it to us with a service such as WeTransfer (it will be large).

Also, you can try disabling graphics acceleration:
www.fabfilter.com/support/faq#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik,

i sent you an e-mail with the requested file at "info@fabfilter.com".

Spananii

I tried disabling the graphics acceleration and it worked! It would be still nice tho, to look into the problem.

Thank you very much!

Spananii

Thank you for sending the dump file. It looks like Pro-R is hanging in a call to the graphics driver, which causes Reaper to freeze when trying to close the window. I suspect this is happening because the driver is buggy and doesn't handle multiple windows correctly (a situation that doesn't really occur when gaming which is what these drivers are primarily written for).

You could try updating your display driver to the latest version. I see that you are using an NVIDIA driver; one thing that has helped other users is disabling the "Threaded optimization" setting in the NVIDIA control panel. See here:
devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/780465/opengl/nvidia-driver-threaded-optimization-

Let me know if that helps! Of course you would need to turn graphics acceleration back on to find out. :)

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Just noticed this. I had the same problem and stumbled on a solution that worked for me (I think I sent an email to support about it).

It was caused by the AMD drivers for the motherboard installing Sonic Studio as part of the realtek sound codec drivers. When I removed sonic studio and the updater that tried to reinstalling it the crash disappeared completely.

I can't remember where I stumbled on the answer but it was in on a reddit post or something. The claim was that it installed some kind of graphics overlay.

The driver still has a more limited control panel which is still fine for setting levels etc.

Nick Whitehurst

I tried to disable the "Threaded optimization" but this one didn't worked out.

Spananii

Same problem. FF plugins freeze, then crash Reaper.
I have reinstalled reaper. Deleted all VST. Reinstalled only FabFilter.
And it crash Reaper when I interact with UI of FF plugins
Reaper 7.0.7
Windows 11 22H2
Nvidia Display Driver 546.29.0

chirick

The problem has solved.
In my case problem was in RivaTuner Statistic Server which is part of MSI Afterburner.
If close this application, FabFilter and Reaper doing smooth and good. Like it should be.

chirick

Reply to this topic: