FabFilter User Forum

Volcano 3 XLFO >> Random enclose

I want to RANDOMLY modulate Lowpass Filter with an XLFO in the following way: I want the filter to go up and down. But it has to OPEN FULLY, but only close again up to a FIXED VALUE. Can you narrow it down so that it randomly opens completely, but only closes again up to a fixed value? How can you do that?

Leander

Hi Leander,

If I understand you correctly, you should be able to tweak the range over which the random modulation takes place by adjusting the filter position and the modulation slot level.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Unfortunately, it works differently when using random. Unfortunately, some options are not available by "Random". It works better without "Random". Unfortunately, I absolutely need coincidence. How can you solve my problem?

Leander

Leander there is no straight forward way to do what you want in Fabfilter's modulation system currently. I have proposed they add a similar feature in a past thread titled "Probabilistic XLFO?":
www.fabfilter.com/forum/topic/7140/probabilistic-xlfo

If Fabfilter can add any way for a random XLFO to toggle randomly only between 2 specific values instead of any random value within a range, that would be very helpful.

In the meantime, there are unintuitive ways to kinda get close, like making 1 XLFO represent the 2 set values, and another randomizing XLFO move the Phase Offset of the first XLFO, but this takes a lot of fiddling to get into the ballpark that a specialized "XLFO-Probability" or "Probability-Gate" would accomplish in a few seconds. And it has some limitations I am not sure how to get around, like in most Fabfilter plugins the first XLFO can not have a speed of zero, so it also is constantly moving at least at a slow speed.

Beaker

@Beaker
Many thanks.

Leander

Reply to this topic: