FabFilter User Forum

How long can we count on VST2 support?

Hello, with Native Instruments and iZotope dropping VST2 support from their new products, I was wondering if Steinberg is perhaps legally forcing companies to do that? Has that happened to FabFilter too?

How long do you plan to continue releasing VST2 plugins with new major versions of your product lines?

David

I should add that both NI and iZotope did that without any prior warnings causing a bit of havoc in existing projects (basically removing VST2 plugins from live operating systems). I think users deserve to know for how long VST2 is going to be supported.

David

Hi David,

We will keep supporting VST2 for the foreseeable future. There is no request from Steinberg to discontinue VST2. However, we do advise people to use VST3 as much as possible, as probable DAW's will ditch VST2 support somewhere in the future as well.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph, thank you for the reply.
Well, there are DAWs that support VST2 only and VST2 is admittedly the mature and super-stable format/platform (unlike VST3, which still feels like beta, to be honest, with regard both DAWs and plugins).
Regards,
David

David

Needless to add that I didn't upgrade to NI Kontakt 7 and iZotope Ozone 10 exactly because they don't come with VST2 plugins. And I have no intention to in the "foreseeable future".

David

Hi David,

Just checked with our developers and we will keep supporting VST2.

Ralph (FabFilter)

Hi Ralph,
Thank you -- excellent!

David

Reply to this topic: