FabFilter User Forum

Pro Tools - CPU spikes causing AAE -9173 Errors (CPU overload)

Hi, working with Pro Tools, I've been having random CPU spikes causing a lot of AAE -9173 Errors (CPU overload).

Contacting Avid customer service, I sent them Pro Tools log files, and they came back to me, saying one of the plugins causing too much CPU activity is Fabfilter Pro-Q3....

This is surprising, since I thought Pro-Q3 was supposed to be light on CPU?? I don't have any problems with it on AU or VST in Ableton, it seems the problem is only with Pro Tools.
And this is unfortunate, because the Pro-Q3 is my main EQ and one of the plugins I use the most. I re-installed it because they said it may be corrupted, but the problem still occurs.

They also said that :
"if you can minimize the (redundancy) use of these plug-ins that would help a lot with these plug-ins or if it's unavoidable, try do a track freeze on tracks which has more plug-in insert in it"

Am I the only one having this issue? Is there something I can do? Is it really a FabFilter problem, or it's a Pro Tools problem and they should fix it?

I noted that CPU overload errors happen often when I open an instance of Pro-Q3. Is it a graphics related problem?

I have a 2019 Intel MacBook Pro with i9 8 cores, with Catalina, Pro Tools 2022.5. It should be plenty!!!
GPU is AMD Radeon Pro 5500M.

Any insights about this would be helpful! Thank you in advance

Simon

Hi Simon,

I believe I just replied to your email ass well. Could you try disabling graphics acceleration?

www.fabfilter.com/support/faq#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Ralph Verdult (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: