FabFilter User Forum

Timeless as a no-latency plugin

It would be great to have an EchoBoy-like Feel knob that allows you to shift the whole delay output in relation to the beat.

That would essentially make Timeless a hardware unit.

Other than being useful to find the "pocket" of the delay, Feel allows you to use the effect in real time when tracking: even if your DAW buffer size is 1024 samples, you can use Feel to compensate for it.

Andreas Russo

Hi Andreas,

Timeless 3 is already a zero latency plug-in. We've implemented the latency in the minimal delay time, which is 5msec if you're not using the pitch effect.

Ralph Verdult (FabFilter)

Thank you Ralph.

What I meant to say is that the Feel knob allows you to use the delay for real time Performance with hardware instruments: even if the plug-in adds zero latency, the DAW’s buffer will still come into play. With Feel you can compensate for that, so if the DAW buffer size is 1024 you can essentially offset the whole delay by about -1024 samples (you have to go by ear, but once you find the right value you’re set forever) and be perfectly in time while performing with your guitar or whatever other instrument.

On top of that, Feel is just great to find the pocket of the delay, which is the real reason why the knob is there in the first place.

Andreas Russo

It seems to me that Feel knob is just a pre-delay…I’m not 100% sure, but wouldn’t you get the same effect when you insert another copy of Timeless in front of the main one, with the same delay time, and without feedback? Then adjusting the delay time of the first instance would give you a similar effect (I think!).
You’d have to do this on a send though, so both delays can be completely wet. Or use something like an effects rack where you’re able to mix the dry signal in outside of Timeless.

Just an idea!

Bram

It is and it isn’t a pre-delay.
It’s a predelay that allows you to anticipate the delay, other than delaying it further.
There are instances in which you could please another delay before timeless on a send would work the same way, but there are many instances in which it simply can’t work.
Besides the fact that having to switch between to plug-in to set the delay is a major inconvenience.

Andreas Russo

Reply to this topic: