FabFilter User Forum

Feature Request for FabFilter Pro-R

This is an appeal to the FabFilter plugin developers for an additional feature in FabFilter Pro-R (a feature perhaps significant enough to make it FabFilter Pro-R 2?).

The ability to work with convolution reverb would be tremendously helpful. Please consider adding to the ability to import impulse response (IR) files, and also to deconvolve sine sweeps.

There are other convolution plugins out there, but none with FabFilter's remarkable user interface.

Thank you.

Timothy Brown

I'd actually prefer Pro-R to remain a purely algorithmic reverb. Most parameters that make an algorithmic great can't be implemented well for impulse responses, even for a parameter as essential as the decay time you need to apply some hacky work-around to implement it for IRs.

The design compromises you'd have to strike to unite an algorithmic and a convolutional reverb inside one plugin would probably not lead to a great result.

plf

Thanks, plf.

Then, a separate FabFilter plug-in for convolution reverb? But having two plug-ins called reverbs might be confusing from a marketing standpoint. Maybe, then, one plug-in with two switchable interfaces for the two types of reverb.

Convolution is the choice reverb for those wanting an accurate, natural emulation and willing to dedicate CPU resources.

There are other convolution plug-ins out there, but none with FabFilter's remarkable user interface.

Timothy Brown

Just checking in again after about a year to see if there have been any new responses on this topic.

By means of this message, I am also renewing my request for a FabFilter plug-in, or plug-in add-on, that enables convolution reverb.

Timothy Brown

Fabulous! FabFilter has lived up to its name again!

I just saw today's announcement of a Pro-R 2 and my heart began beating faster when I saw "Impulse response import" as a new feature.

Thank you.

Timothy Brown

It doesn't actually import IRs tho.
It converts them into algorithm. :)

Ploki

Ploki, thank you. Yes, Ralph (FabFilter) explained to me that this is the case on a related thread.

I am waiting to see some third-party comparisons between convolution reverbs and FabFilter's algorithmic conversion reverbs generated from the same impulse responses. An algorithmic version is flexible and certainly lighter on resources, but my use of reverb is in recreating natural environments, not music. So, naturalness and realism are essential.

Timothy Brown

I was toying around with loading IRs from space designer, and it's pretty convincing for the most part for rooms, here's a short clip of a 1.8s hall from space designer + analysed IR in ProR2.
go.wetransfer.com/t-DWu2aL4wcq

It fails for non-room convolution obviously, if you drag and drop experimental IRs (harmonically rich or rhytmic) it just won't do much except give you some random reverb.

Ploki

Interesting. If the first instance is convolution and the second is FabFilter's algorithm, then they truly are close. I wonder how an impulse response captured in a wild outdoor setting would compare.

My original post was a request was for a FabFilter option to do proper convolution reverb -- everything from the importing of impulse responses, sine sweeps, convolution and deconvolution, all of it. I love the FabFilter user interface and would rather not have to resort to another plug-in for this type of reverb.

Well, maybe Pro-R 3?

Timothy Brown

Reply to this topic: