FabFilter User Forum

Pro-Q3 bug ? Sides-only always outputs mono

Hi,

I'm using Pro-Q3 on my master bus in Studio One 5 and I feed it with a stereo source. When I use the mid/side mode, I can indeed seperate the mid from the sides. However, the sides information are in mono.

Example: When switching to sides-only, I can mostly hear guitars and I loose the kick and snare (as expected) but the resulting signal is in mono...

How can I make the output stereo ?

Jean-François Sternon

Hi Jean-Francois,

There is indeed no stereo information in the side channel. It's not possible to remove the mid channel and keep the stereo image of just the side channel.

Mid and side signals are basically calculated using 2 simple formulas:

Mid = L + R
Side = L - R

The side signal is left and right collapsed into mono, and flipping the polarity of one of the channels. This results in that everything that in panned centre, and therefore is equally loud in both the left and right channel, will be cancelled out. The side-channel will include everything that is not panned centre, but it will not maintain their position in the stereo image.

Please allow me to refer to a video that Dan Worrall made about Ms processing: www.youtube.com/watch?v=NilfCElGJ2c&ab_channel=FabFilter

Cheers, Ralph

Ralph Verdult

Reply to this topic: