FabFilter User Forum

Crazy UI bug in Ableton --> Fabfilter crashes

So I've came across a weird bug in Fabfilter with dual screen monitors and it happens only with Fabfilter products.

System specs: valid.x86.fr/dkdz5g

I have 2 screens, 1 UHD and 1 at 1900x1200, no DPI scaling in Windows. My main desktop set in the control panel, is the UHD screen. I tend the use Ableton on my smaller screen, so I maximize it. When adding any Fabfilter product on any lane and you open it, the FF GUI glitches out and when you try to close the vst, the host daw crashes. When I set the main desktop on the small screen where I use Ableton and thus fabfilter, all is good and everything performs as intended.

I captured a video where you can monitor my second screen where I run Ableton on. In the first attempt, everything crashes. One change was made afterward (main monitor is now the recorded monitor). At the end in attempt 2: restart Ableton, add FF ProQ-3, everything works.

youtu.be/HX3KZzPD020

TLDR; When ableton is not running on the primary monitor, given a certain HW scenario, and fabfilter is used on any lane: gui glitches out and host crashes. The problem only occurs when used on a secondary monitor.

Sera

Can you try to disable graphics acceleration?
www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik,

Same issue with GA off. I narrowed it further down though. It looks like the GUI experiences the hiccup with the DPI scaling from Windows. So on the UHD, the DPI scaling is at 150% while the other screen has it on 100%. When both are set to 100%, the issue does not occur.

So to represent the problem after the new information, the issue is: the plugin functions properly when it pops up on the windows main screen. If there are 2 different DPI environments, the plugin fails in the non main DPI environment.

I've been testing my collection of plugins, and I have 2 publishers having this issue: Fabfiltering and Mastering in the mix. Tested this on 2 different systems with equal environments on Windows 10 Pro Version 20H2 (Build 1904.746)

Sera

Correction: Build 19042.746

Sera

Yep. I just watched your video and that is precisely what I get too. Pro-Q3 is completely unusable at the moment. I'll have to play around with monitors to see if that has an impact on my own situation.

Phil Couling

Sorry, this thread seems to have slipped away. We will look into it!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I have just tested with Live 10 on Windows 10 (21H1, build 19043.1466) with a 100% and a 150% monitor and cannot get it to crash no matter what I do. But this is with an AMD graphics card.

@Sera: in your video I see that you don't have the VST3 version of Pro-Q 3 installed. Can you install our latest plug-in versions and try with the VST3 version?

The type of hang that your video shows looks very much like a problem with graphics acceleration to me. Are you sure you disabled it correctly just like the instruction says on this page?
www.fabfilter.com/support/faq#how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

You should get notably slower graphics, especially in full-screen mode.

@Phil: what type of graphics card are you using? Have you tried to disable graphics acceleration?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

This is wild. Switching from 3 monitors to 1 monitor resolved the freezing issue for me. How y'all figured that out is beyond me.

Pro Q worked great on 3 monitors since forever. Just started freezing out of nowhere.

FYI I'm running Win 10 with a GTX 1080 pushing 3-4 monitors at varying resolutions and varying DPI scales.

Christopher Courtney

Omg.... this helped so much.
I have one vertical monitor and one regular. didn't notice that is what was causing me to crash. by default I put my plugins on the other monitor and Pro q3 crashed on me every time i used Ableton.

Dominic Schira

I spent about a month trying to figure this out and the solution I found was actually really straightforward.

I haven't seen any other discussion boards mention this either, try DISABLING NAHIMIC SERVICES.

A quick google search will show you how to do it. It takes less than 2 minutes and it cleared everything up immediately!!!

p.s. sorry for the all caps, I just want to make sure people can find this.

Brianna Webb

Reply to this topic: