FabFilter User Forum

Eventual 64-bit versions?

At some point I will move my workstation over to Vista64. With the memory mapping limitation of a 32-bit OS (3.2 GB RAM) a move to the greater RAM-handling capabilities (up to 128 GB RAM) of a 64-bit OS is a logical step.

My question is this: when will FabFilter release 64-bit versions of its plugins and have you tested the current 32-bit versions to see if they will play nice in a 64-bit space?

TQ

Hi TQ,

Currently we have no direct plans for 64-bit versions of our plug-ins, but that could change in the future... What host were you planning to use?

We haven't tested our plug-ins on a 64-bit OS yet, but I'm quite sure they will work well -- but only with a 32-bit host of course.

Note: There are two ways a plug-in can be '64-bit': by processing 64-bit audio samples (which would presumably give better sound quality), or by being compiled as a 64-bit plug-in which would allow it to run natively on a 64-bit operating system (which would allow the host and plug-in to access more than 2 GB of memory and perhaps be a little faster). These are quite different things...

Frederik (FabFilter)

Adobe Audition 3.0 for VST and Pro Tools 7.4 for RTAS.

TQ

+1 for 64 bit versions of FF plugins!

Mulperi

@TQ: I use Fabfilter plugins in Windows 7 64-bit. They work just as good as in 32-bit XP or Vista. Tested in Audition 3, Live 8 and Cubase 5 (32-bit).

In Cubase 5 (64-bit) vst2 versions of Fabfilter plugins are not very stable and vst3 versions won't work at all. Just a warning for those who are going to migrate to 64-bit OS and 64-bit host.

Denis

+1 For 64-bit versions of your plugs.

The main advantage of 64 bit processing, for me, is that I would no longer be restricted to 4 GB of RAM.

As I'll be moving to Windows 7 soon, I may as well make it 64 bit. (I use Sonar, BTW.) NI, U-He and many other manufacturers are going 64 bit. Izotope is already there. Don't leave it too long, guys...

Prunesquallor

64bit versions would be great.
I certainly want to go fully 64bit , but not having stable running fabfilter plugins available is a horrifying thought.

Tilo

Don't worry, 64-bit versions of our plug-ins are definitely on the radar. :-)

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

That's definately great news!
I'm upgrading to 64bit os and host soon too and plan on investing only in 64bit software from now on.

Mulperi

Reply to this topic: