FabFilter User Forum

iOS Saturn 2 AUv3 Graphic-based CPU spiking

First off, thank you so much for releasing Saturn 2 for iOS. Its an amazing plugin, that ecosystem really needed a great distortion.

I've noticed that the plugin causes a lot of cpu spiking and glitching when brought to the foreground (long after being loaded) and moved around inside Aum (running an iPad Pro 2017, iOS 13.5, 48khz, 2048 buffer). This is way more than any other plugin I've used. Its to the point where I worry about using it to record because it may spike too much.

I hope maybe someday some of the graphics in the plugin can be disabled, or some of this spiking can be resolved.

Thanks for reading!

quartzite

Edit: I slightly misspoke with my first post. The spiking is really only bad when running a buffer of 512 or less. As an example, I'm running a patch with 35-40% utilization, and opening/closing Saturn 2 it'll spike to 70+%. Most other plugins seem clock in around 55%.

quartzite

Whilst on the top: (from another post)

"To Frederik or Floris,

Can you bring back S1's spectrum display (as a user option)?
(these type of options harm no one).
(For me) it was one of Saturn 1's charms and visual
-character/attraction.

(some changes in life, can feel drastic)

Cheers"

Nice

King

KING

Whilst on the top: (from another post)

"To Frederik or Floris,

Can you bring back S1's spectrum display (as a user option)?
(these type of options harm no one).
(For me) it was one of Saturn 1's charms and visual
-character/attraction.

(some changes in life, can feel drastic)

Cheers"

Nice

King

KING

@quartzite: Is there a specific preset or distortion algorithm that causes this, or do you also see it with the default preset (just Gentle Saturation in one band, no HQ mode)? And which iPad are you using?

@King: We don't have plans to bring back the old display, sorry!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

"@King: We don't have plans to bring back the old display, sorry!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)"

No worries! "You don't know if you don't ask!"

(*Maybe in Saturn 3) haha
(*Before anyone thinks or say anything - there's no question mark ^)

Bless

King

KING

Thanks for the reply!

I'm running a 2017 iPad Pro. I see a lot of extra cpu use when opening a plugin and then running it in the foreground it on all the presets even the default warming one, though the more complicated presets seem worse. I can't tell if its the visuals or the processing, but even dragging the plugin off the edge of the screen so it doesn't draw seems to decrease cpu use. I wonder if the ability ti disable the realtime waveform rendering would help.

I think some of the problem is AUM itself, some spiking happens on all plugins. But Saturn is at the top of the spiking list.

quartzite

Thanks for the additional information! I don't think it is related to the graphics. We will investigate and optimize where needed.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I'm seeing this, but slightly different. Opening the window, moving around, rescaling, no difference to measured CPU (AUM). Closing the window, significant CPU spike. (ipad 6th gen, 256 buffer)
Fantastic job overall though!

SpartanClownTide

Reply to this topic: