FabFilter User Forum

Too loud despite only mild limiting

Hi there,
I'm currently mixing a song for streaming on Spotify. I have set the Loudness Meter target at -14 LUFS and the Output at -1dB. However, even with very mild limiting (up to 1.5dB max) the recorded LUFS over the entire song is 12 LUFS. How do I reduce this towards 14 LUFS and still have some degree of limiting? Do I simply reduce the Output level to (say) -2dB or 3dB?
Many thanks

Reuben Ayres

Pro-L2 is the best limiter I've tried in the sense of causing the least damage and keeping best the balance and impact of the mix, but to be honest if I could reach my target level without any limiting at all, I'd be very happy...

On the other hand maybe you actually like what the limiter does, as a sort of effect. In that case, I'd say don't get hung up on the -14 LUFS target, if it sounds good to you at -12, so be it. I've just finished an album averaging -10.8 and it sounds just fine in Spotify and elsewhere. I just followed the advice of the experts:

www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1252522-targeting-mastering-loudness-streaming-lufs-spotify-youtube-why-not-do.html

Cheers,

Cabirio

Reply to this topic: