FabFilter User Forum

Saturn 'Smooth amp' -> real world equivalent?

Bit of a random question.

I'm finding the Saturn 'smooth amp' setting to be extremely useful across almost any sound or instrument - especially when trying to introduce a new and completely different character to a sample (drums, strings, vocals, anything!)

So much so, I'm keen to experiment with real world equivalents to this. For example, using an guitar amp head as an outboard piece of gear.

Since I never get the desired result with the other four 'amp' options (crunchy, lead, screaming, power), I'm very curious to know what the 'smooth amp' setting was modelled on, if anything, or what kinds of actual amps/devices might produce similar sounds in the analogue space.

Some trial and error would obviously be required, but since I don't have access to dozens of amps, it would be great to hear some ideas of which directions to look in, or if anyone has attempted a similar process.

Thanks in advance!

Terry

Hi Terry,

The Smooth amp algorithm is not based on a particular amp. It's an algorithm designed by ear, and we got inspiration from different amplifiers.

However, if you'd like a real world amp, I'd start looking to the more clean guitar amps, like a Fender Twin, Roland Jazz Chorus or Vox AC30.

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: