FabFilter User Forum

Dark/light

"The input is shown in dark grey, whil the output is light grey with a light stroke, which makes it easy to see the exact effects of the applied gain reduction." This quote is in regards to the level display/transfer window showing the input and output signal level in Pro-C2. Just to clarify, i see the input signal in dark grey and the output signal/the compressed signal in light grey. I think i know what´s what there, but the strokes desciption is not that clear to me, possibly because english is not my native tongue. Does "light stroke" mean "not as white as the other parameter/displayed signal" or "less tangible" or does it mean white? I see the light grey output display having a less white stroke than the input signal. Is that correct? With the first version of pro-c the output level had the more white stroke (i think output might have had the only stroke). I don´t know why the level display help section here on FFs homepage don´t help me, cause it seem a pretty simple thing to understand, but ... can someone pls help me understand or link me to a greater understanding. / Jonas

Jonas Warnehed

I believe that "light stroke" is using a comparison to a painters brush. I'm not an artist, but I read that as meaning not pressing the brush as hard against the canvas to get a lighter, more transparent shade of color.

- Paul

Paul

Hi, Paul. Oh, but how does that apply to the issue i´m raising? Now i´m thinking the output signal is the one with the more white and sharp stroke on top of it. Can you help me with understanding that? / Jonas

Jonas Warnehed

The light stroke is the thin white line which indicates the peaks. If you look at the GUI you see it.
This is the output. Exactly like you see it and like it says in the manual :)

Bram

Like i wrote before, i think i´m raising a question that others see as overly clear, borderline stupid, but it´s not clear to me, so i figured i should try my luck here at the user forum.

Well, yes, i can see the stroke, but there is a light stroke to both input and output, lightness being a relative matter and one being more white-like than the other. So, i turned the input signal down and the output signal up and saw that the one i call more white got higher and the other lower, leading me to conclude that the output signal is the one with the more white stroke.

Jonas Warnehed

I am confused by the color of the area below the peak-indicating light stroke. The manual says the output is shown in light grey with a light stroke, but the area below the white-like stroke is in dark grey in the exemple in the manual. The color of the area below the peak indicator seems to change depending on which signal is directly onto the background/fond of the GUI or in front of the other signal. Does that make sense? / Jonas

Jonas Warnehed

Reply to this topic: