FabFilter User Forum

Pro-Q Extensions

As much as I love the Q3, I recently just had some Idea`s to "enhance" the already fascinating feature Set.

1. Maybe it`s possible to have an additive "expert panel" for the Attack/Release behaviour in dynamic mode as even the MB can`t always replicate the inital behaviour in sound as an Dynamic EQ imho.

2. As I`m a Mastering Engineer I love that we`re able to boost/cut in a very fine manor - talking about this, I`m pretty aware that certain curve shapes can make a record pop.
- sometimes I want a Baxandall Curve without the Sound of the actual Hardware and even the Plugin-Counterparts are to "heavy" in their steps where I would like to have the control of a Q3

I liked the Idea that there would be a "Preset" bank for different Curve behaviour's of certain EQ`s as none of the existing EQ`s are so likely to be controlled in such a fine way.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the compliments; Much appreciated!
About your questions;

1. This is a request we see fairly often. I'm sorry to say, but we probably won't be offering attack and release controls in Pro-Q 3. The reason being that we like to keep Pro-Q 3's interface as clean as possible. More features means more knobs and buttons. We'd like people to think of Pro-Q 3's dynamic section as a problem solving tool for minor touch ups, tasks which require a bit more precision than your regular eq changes. For elaborate dynamic controls, Pro-MB would still be the weapon of choice.

2. Although we don't offer a Baxandall curve in the preset menu, you can easily make presets yourself! A Baxandall type curve is very easy to do. I think simply setting a high shelf (6db/oct) + 1dB at 2k should get you pretty close. If you want a longer slope you could use 12 dB/oct with a lower "q" value.

Hope that helps!
If you have any more questions, just let us know!

Cheers

Maarten (FabFilter)

Just use the "hidden" Baxandall preset ;-) Ever wondered why the default when you create a shelf is 12dB/oct, Q=0.3? I'm speculating here but I believe they've done it like that for a reason: that's the most gentle slope you can get in a shelf (in fact gentler than a 6dB/oct one) before you get funny wiggles in the curve (bring the Q value further down and see what happens), so that's as close as you will get to a real Baxandall response. Note also that Baxandall refers just to a circuit topology and there are many different implementations with different slopes and cut-off frequencies, so don't get too hung up on getting The Right Curve, as there isn't one...

Cheers,

Cabirio

Reply to this topic: