FabFilter User Forum

Pro-Q EQ match on indentical signals

Hi, I analyzed an audio clip for the eq match function and saved it as a reference spectrum. I then analyzed the same audio clip again to match it against the reference and Pro-Q likes to add several bands and changes. Can you please tell me Why? These are identical signals, analyzed for an indentical time. Why does Pro-Q thinks there are any changes that needs to be compensated for?

The problem I have is: I'd like to match 2 vocals which only differ in small amounts, but audible. The changes Pro-Q tells me make it worse, even with different amounts of bands. So I thought I test it and saw it even likes match something on indentical signals, which seems broken.

Best, Mirko

Mirko

Hi Mirko,

It's very hard to get an exactly identical match because the incoming signal will overlap differently with the internal blocks used to analyze the signal. However, if you let it run for some time (say at least 30 secs) it should be very close.

How big are the changes that EQ Match wants to make for identical signals?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik, indeed this varies depending on Pro-Qs internal processing. The example from yesterday had narrow peaks of about +/-3dB.

Today I got a nearly flat line with small ripples of about +/-0.5dB (totally neglectable, I can see I wouldn't apply any matching then :-D).

In a second try I watched the spectrum moving with a 45 second clip looping. It approached a flat line and then got off again, like it was pulsating any 10 to 15 seconds.

In this example it is easy to know when the right time has come. But having 2 distinct signals, it's harder to guess in which phase the analyzer is and when to apply the match.

The spectrum resolution is at max btw. Does the speed also affect the match?

Mirko

Hi Mirko,

The speed doesn't affect the result of EQ Match, but the resolution does.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: