FabFilter User Forum

Pro-Q3 Expansion?

Hi -

is the expansion actually a upward compression ?
It adds gain as soon as the level drops below the threshold ?

Thank you
Thomas

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

In Pro-Q 3 we use only download compression (for a negative dynamic range value) and upward expansion (for a positive dynamic range value). So if the dynamic range is positive, and the level gets above the threshold, the gain is increased.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederic,

thank you - got it - just checked it with Pro-Q3.

I believe you are not planing to add all compression/expander styles from Pro-MB into Q3 ?

Thanks
Thomas

Thomas

For Pro-Q 3 our aim was to make it easy to add dynamic behavior to a band to be able to address say 90% of your dynamic EQing / multi-band compression needs.

If you need ultimate flexibility, for example external side chain triggering, triggering on a different frequency range, upward compression or downward expansion, or more control over attack, release, knee, etc, then Pro-MB would still be the weapon of choice. :)

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I work a lot with close miked acoustic string instruments and dynamic EQ is an essential tool for me. I was really excited when I saw this release and finally being able to ditch that W company version but ... no manual attack and release controls :( Program dependent is just not a feasible option for me.

Please add those and you'll have one new customer on the same day you do it.

Vesa

I’d still like to ask you to try the trial version and see how well the automatic algorithm works for you. We’re not totally against adding attack and release but we found that they weren’t really needed in a lot of cases, and we really liked the simplicity of a one-knob solution combined with a program-dependent algorithm that makes smart choices. If you come across a fragment where it clearly doesn’t work well, please send it to us!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I love Fabfilter Pro Q3 and the dynamic stuff but do agree with others on the thread that attack and release are an essential tool to be cover all scenarios

It's very good as it is but sometimes we need that extra control

Grant

Reply to this topic: