FabFilter User Forum

Understanding Modulation Amounts

I now have a variety of Fabfilter Plug-ins, which I use all the time. Not only could I not do without them, but Pro-Q 2 for instance has improved my skills in terms of learning how to EQ I believe.

My question is regarding how modulation amounts translate. For instance, if in Volcano 2, or Timeless 2, you have a Band Pass filter set up at 1000Hz, and you want to use an envelope or LFO to modulate it up and down between 1000Hz and 2000Hz, is there an equation or formula for setting the modulation amount, or do you need to use trial and error?

Any help much appreciated!

Jay

Hi Jay,

Sorry for the delay. As an illustration please try the following;
In Volcano 2...

-Create a band pass with a very resonant peak so you have a sustained note.
-Create a new modulation source (XLFO), turn the amount up to 1, glide all the way to -1.
-Select the piano roll in the modulation source.

You can now select the desired note of the XLFO interval!

From 1000 to 2000Hz is one octave, so simply select one octave on the piano roll (XLFO step 1=minimum value, XLFO step 2=right in the middle).

Please let me know if that helps?! I'm happy to send you a preset as well. If you'd like me to send you a preset, please send me an e-mail at info@fabfilter.com

Cheers,

Maarten

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

Many thanks for your reply, I have only just seen it. I will try what you suggested today.

Fabfilter plugins are very well designed...but like many things, it takes some practice and knowledge to get the most out of them! :o)

Jay

Jay

...it works (of course!). Thanks again.

Jay

Reply to this topic: