FabFilter User Forum

Engineering and Mixing

I am just looking for a good site to go and ask questions and get help leaning the best ways to engineering and mix. I am 53 and have been trying to teach myself for sometime now and still really don't have a clue.

I am wondering if and where I would find things like cheat sheets telling general EQ frequencies used in a mix, ie, kick, bass, acoustic guitar, vocals, etc,

Right now I am working on recording my daughter play piano (Yamaha U3) getting the best sound and mix of the piano. Then in a song or two adding her voice in to the mix, getting that to fit and sound right. I also record some acoustic guitar fro time-to-time. That's about all I will ever be doing. but after years of watching how to videos and reading, I still don't have any ideas of the right way to do things.

Thanks,
John

John Zapf

I'm an novice too.
I would try to get a few good books.
Youtube tutorials.
Other tutorials u can find in the interweb.
And best is if u can get some kind of mentor.

Jay

For mixing, you might want to get law multi-tracks.
There is several mixing sites or mixing contests, so you can get multi-tracks of a song to practice.
Only way to make better mixing is mix a lot of songs.
But don't forget to imagine your ideal sound.
Without that you won't get your sound.

I think your recording situation like acoustic-style doesn't need much effects. Even if with no-fx, it's possible to make great recordings.
Maybe tracking is most important, though there is totally no rules.
Try thousand times, you'll get right sound :)

Hope you'll make fine recordings!

KJP

I guess no FX is one way to go.
But also in acoustic.
I think the right FX used in the right time would be great.
Thinking aboud Reverb, Delay, Compression, EQ, and Dynamic EQ.
If used subtile i bet u can make it sound better.

But it is an artitic and monetary choise.

Jay

Like KJP said "...don't forget to imagine your ideal sound"...
Find reference tracks! Maybe for example Adele for female vocal and piano and Amos lee with something with acoustic guitar or whatever. But find the ideal sound (in a reference track) and try to bring your recording to sound as close as possible to that track...

Flo

Reply to this topic: