FabFilter User Forum

Adjusting Q with the mousewheel

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but it has started to annoy me a bit - I feel that it's inconsistent.

It currently affects Pro-Q 2 (1 as well, probably), Pro-C 2 (sidechain EQ) and Pro-R.

The issue, for me, is that adjusting the Q value "on the dot" using the mousewheel, has 2 different behaviours. If it's a boost, scrolling up decreases the Q value, naturally the opposite is true for scrolling down. If it's a cut the behaviour is reversed.

I don't find this intuitive. To me scrolling up on the mousewheel should always, no matter the state of the EQ point, increase the Q value.

Is there a particular reasoning behind this that I'm not seeing?
Even so it's still an odd behaviour to me at least. Would it be possible to have an option for choosing which behaviour to use (fixed versus "switching")?

Torben Andersen

Hi Torben,

To us it felt more intuitive if scrolling upwards always increases the overall gain of the band. So if it's a boost, scrolling upwards decreases the Q, making the boost wider. If it's a cut, it increases the Q, making the cut smaller. Both increase the gain and have the overall effect of moving the curve upwards, which seemed natural to us.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I'd argue cases can be made for both methods, and I understand your reasoning at least.

I'll try and get my brain to change its ways in this regard. :P

Torben Andersen

I'm not a big fan of this change. To me, it's essential that scrolling up should always make the band wider, and scrolling down should make it narrower. That's the way every other EQ I've used in my life has worked. It's built in to the muscle memory of my workflow to the point that I didn't even think about it until Fabfilter did the opposite of what I'm used to. Please introduce the option for Q to behave normally on the mousewheel. Just because it makes sense to you doesn't mean everyone else has to like it and adjust.

Karl Servian

Reply to this topic: