FabFilter User Forum

Does Pro-L 2 have m/s capability?

I'm looking for a limiter that has m/s capability, and am looking at the BX XL2...I would rather use Fab Filter, and am wondering if the Pro-L 2 has this capability since it does have multi-channel capability?

Noah

Hi Noah,

That's a good question! And the simple answer is: no, Pro-L 2 doesn't do m/s limiting.

Of course, during research and development, we've experimented with all sorts of different techniques, which include multi-band and m/s processing. But what we've found, is that for ultra-transparent, easy-to-set-up limiting, we would still get the absolute best results with smart and advanced single-band limiting algorithms.

Of course, m/s processing (and also multi-band processing) can get you interesting results, but much too often it will disrupt the tonal balance or stereo balance of the signal when pushing the limiter.

Still, m/s processing can be very useful during mastering, especially as a problem fixer or for enhancing/reducing stereo width, but I suggest to use either Pro-C 2 or Pro-MB for this, and use Pro-L 2 as the final, transparent mastering limiter.

Cheers!

Floris (FabFilter)

You FabFilter Guys are f...... genious!
(positive)

Jay

Reply to this topic: