FabFilter User Forum

Can the Pro-Q2 cut frequencies below 20hz?

I am working with some samples that have been pitch-shifted down many octaves. This has caused a lot of build up of bass energy below 20hz that is distorting my speakers. I have tried to cut everything below 20hz (using a 96dB curve), but the spectrum analyser is showing that it has barely reduced these frequencies. Is the Pro-Q2 effective in these low frequency ranges or do I need to find myself another filter?

Also, I have found the only way these frequencies are reduced in the analyser is if I start the cut off point at 100hz, but this effects the sound in an undesirable way. Ideally I'd like to not effect the sound while simply ensuring nothing below 20hz is getting into the speakers.

Matty

Hi Matty,

You should be able to see frequencies below 20 Hz in the analyzer in Pro-Q 2, but you need to set the analyzer resolution to "Maximum" in order to get a higher resolution in the low frequency area.

Apart from that, adding a low-cut filter at 20 Hz with for example a 24 dB/oct slope should do the job, regardless of whether you can see it in the analyzer.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: