FabFilter User Forum

Suddenly Pro-Q 2 outputs zero audio in Audition CC Win 64

Hi there,

Been using Pro-Q 2 for a while for eq'ing vocals for a podcast, but suddenly, if any audio is passed through Pro-Q 2, the output audio completely flatlines.

I have opened a wav file and put Pro-Q 2 in the effects rack, but disabled it. The source audio is on top right, the bottom right is the preview, i.e. what it looks like after the effect rack is applied:

i.imgur.com/A0vqWaI.png

Now, let us enable Pro-Q 2 and see how that affects the preview in the bottom right:
i.imgur.com/Zvu7I6u.png

Oops, no audio makes it out alive! And this is with a PQ2 instance that really does nothing at all, too:
i.imgur.com/iymgwSS.png

I am on an up-to-date Windows 10 x64 PC, it used to work perfectly on the same PC previously. I updated to the latest version and I reinstalled it several times, but not dice. Also, my other FabFilter plugins work just fine (I have the bundle with G, DS, C2, MB, L).

What can be done to figure this out? A man needs his EQ.

Rune Jacobsen

Hi Rune, I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing some issues with Pro-Q 2. Would it be possible to send us a small test project at info@fabfilter.com?

Thank you in advance!

Maarten

Hi Maarten,

I was trying to create a test project to send to you, but then suddenly here was Audition 2018 so I got caught up in that. After updating, the situation has changed slightly.

If I add a Pro-Q 2 to a track or clip in a multitrack session, it works as expected! I can EQ as much as I want, I see the waveform coming in and I can shape it like I want. Great success!

However, if I add it to an effect rack in the waveform editor for a single file, it behaves very strangely. Unfortunately I can't save that as a project, but I can tell you how I reproduce it. I can even make a video if you want that shows the problem and send it to the mail adress you gave.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open or record a sound file in the waveform editor. Play back to make sure all is well.

2. In the Effects Rack, add a FabFilter Pro-Q 2 effect. Double click it to open the interface if this doesn't happen automatically.

3. Make some EQ changes. In my example, I make a single low cut entry with 96 dB/oct and place it around 2k, so that there will be NO doubt if it works or not.

4. Play the audio. No EQing takes place.

There are a few strange things to notice here;

• If you enable the preview editor, the sound looks exactly the same in the preview as in the current view on top. So it seems like Pro-Q 2 does nothing to the audio. If you apply the rack, this holds true - the file remains unchanged. This was not the case in CC 2017 - it would completely silence audio that went through Pro-Q 2.
  • If you play the audio with Pro-Q 2 in the effects rack, it sounds just like it would without it.
  • There is no live waveform in the Pro-Q 2 window! You can't visually "see" the audio move about. However, this works fine in the multitrack view - where the EQ also has an effect. Is this somehow caused by Audition not actually giving the audio to Pro-Q 2 in the waveform editor?

This led to more of an investigation. It seems like none of the FabFilter plugins I have (C2, MB, G, L, DS) sees the incoming audio except for L! Weird! This was not a problem before... L works fine and limits the audio as expected.

All of this was the VST3 versions of the plugin. I now tried installing Pro Q2 as a VST2 plugin (showing up as just VST in Audition), and that works, all other things being equal...

So I guess I will be installing the VST2 version of all the plugins.

I dunno of anything I would miss by not using the VST3 versions, so that is a fine workaround, but surely it would be great to figure out why the VST3s do not receive sound input.

If you want me to help you figure this out, let me know, and I will be happy to do tests etc. I will send you an email as well, with a reference to this forum topic.

Ha, I'm a detective now.

Rune Jacobsen

Hi, has this resolved becuase I get exactly the same behaviour where if I add EQ to the Editor view, I get no visual or audible feedback from FabFilter...

Matt sneakSounds

I am getting the same issues with no audible or visual feedback with mono files in the editor window. The VST2 mono version seems to be crashing the program.

Shawn

I could reproduce a crash with VST3 plug-ins in the Effects Rack in Audition CC 2017 that looks to be caused by a bug in Audition. This is fixed in the latest 2018 version (version 11.11.3). I tested with this version and could confirm that our VST3 plug-ins work well in the Effects Rack.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi all, similar issue... If I add Pro-Q2 as clip Effect I get no visual feedback from the plugin and the audio output is silenced.

If I turn the plugin off and back on again I get a harmonically rich tone starting at abt 1.4k

I can use the plugin no problem as a Mixer Effect but then I can't just apply it, I have to export the file with the FX applied that way...

Happy to send this project for you to test if you tell me where to send it. I'm running Windows 10 Pro and Audition CC 2018 Build 11.0.2.2

Matt Groves

Hi Matt,

Could you first upgrade to the latest version of Audition to see if the problem occurs there as well?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: