FabFilter User Forum

EQ settings for pre RIAA sound files

Hello,

I am trying out Fabfilter before I buy. Much of its use will be for the restoration of sound files from the pre-RIAA era. I am just a hobbyist so I am posting here to see if someone could explain how I can achieve the settings I seek. For example, I may want a NAB setting (Turnover 500Hz / Rolloff -16db) or I may want my own setting (Turnover 250 / Rolloff 8.5db.

I know this can easily be done, I am just not sure the proper way to obtain those settings I desire. I am sorry for the basic question. Thank you for any assistance.

James

All those pre-emphasis / de-emphasis curves (RIAA, NAB, IEC, etc) are built from a series of single poles / zeroes at specific frequencies, very easy to implement using 6dB/oct high cut / low cut filters. Also easy to implement in hardware with 1st-order filters, which is why they're specified that way.

If my memory serves me right I think a while back I did a RIAA preset for Pro-Q just for fun, I'll see if I can find it and post it here so you see how it can done.

Cheers,

Cabirio

Hi,
This would be really useful– Did you happen to find your preset and are willing to share it?

Thanks,
Brian

Brian Heller

Hi guys!

I've actually created a RIAA Pro-Q 2 preset a while ago. You could use that as a basis for your own settings:

www.fabfilter.com/support/downloads/RIAA.ffp

Cheers,

Floris (FabFilter)

Thank you for the preset!

James

Hi there,

I’m currently trialling ProQ3 and want to use it for digital RIAA correction.

I understand RIAA correction should be minimum phase. Please could you confirm whether the RIAA preset in ProQ3 is minimum phase?

Many thanks,

James

James

Hi James,

The included factory RIAA preset is set to zero latency, but you can easily change it to natural or linear phase if you would prefer.

Cheers,

Ralph (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: