FabFilter User Forum

Text Size Too Small on Higher Resolutions

It goes without saying that I hugely admire and appreciate FabFilter and their wonderful products. I really appreciate the resizable GUIs on the more recent plug-ins, but I do have one quibble.

Now that I'm using a new (Win 10) 17" laptop with a native screen resolution of 1920 x 1080p I can't read the text elements! They're just so tiny. The small text wasn't an issue for me on my older 15" laptop(s) with native 1368 x 720p resolution.

It's lovely that you can resize some of the GUI windows, but it would be great if buttons and text were also scalable. Maybe the 25 year olds don't have a problem, but my 50 year old eyes are having a lot of trouble with FF plug-ins on my new PC.

I sure hope this comment is helpful and our FF friends take it into consideration.

Thanks & God bless,
Bro. Charles

Brother Charles

BTW, I'm using Studio One with high DPI scaling enabled. In Live 9 a user can adjust GUI zooming, but there's no way of doing it in Studio One. If I deactivate Studio One's DPI scaling, it's GUI gets blurry and ugly.

Brother Charles

Yippeee! I found a solution in an old thread.

A wee bit of registry editing for each FabFilter plug-in. It goes as follows:

"Hi,

Our plugins require Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 for High DPI support, as they use the new per-monitor features in Windows 8.1. We could adapt them to also work on Windows 7, but I remember (apparently incorrectly) that 200% scaling wasn't supported on Windows 7.

There is a registry option that you can use to force 200% scaling which might work for you. To set this, click the Start button, type 'regedit', Enter to open the Registry Editor. (You might have to give permission to continue.) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FabFilter\Pro-Q\2.0. Double-click the RetinaEnabled value, and change its value to 200, making sure that the Decimal option is checked. You can repeat this for all the plugins that you want to use.

Or you could just do the free upgrade to Windows 10. BTW, I agree with you that Studio One's High DPI support is top-notch.

Cheers,
Frederik (FabFilter) — Dec 16, 2015"

Brother Charles

Brother Charles,

We later updated our plugins so the automatic scaling should also work on Windows 7 and Windows 8.0. You're using Windows 10 so you shouldn't have a problem at all: our plugins should just pick up the scaling setting that's used for all Windows. To go back to this default behavior, simply set RetinaEnabled to 1 again.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: