FabFilter User Forum

Pro-R High CPU in Auria Pro..

Hey FabFilter,

Finally it's here, (3 months) and sounding great!

However, I am using an iPad mini 2 on iOS 10.1.

Pro-R is using approximately 38-40% cpu on stand by (nothing playing). It's a fresh project with only one audio track with a drum loop on it for testing.
I knew it would be a little high but this is crazy!
I can't add it to my other projects as is.
The main reverb I used previous, used only 5% on stand by (five%).
I've also tested R on other projects, same results.

Is there anything that can be done. Freezing tracks is not really an option as I'm using Pro-R on Aux.
At this level I would only be able to use one instance, if I'm lucky.

Is there a low cpu mode or something? If not could you create one.
I very much looked forward to this, but it would decrease my track count significantly.

Look forward to your reply! :)

King

KING

FYI, these readings have been taken using the default preset, after a full reboot, and no other apps running.

Now and then it wil drop to around 25-30%.
But 95% of the time it's around 40%

King

KING

Must say!

This is one brilliant - excellent sounding reverb.

Sweeeeeeet!

King

KING

Still working it out, reporting as I go.

Loaded another project.. with Pro-R bypassed its 42%. When enabled 65+%.
Press play, goes down to 52-3 ish. Hmm..

But the sound is wonderful ;)

King

KING

Seems to be much better now, I guess it's settling in??

Different projects it acts differently.

This may need me to do some investigation and see why, especially with in being high in a brand new project.

The latest project I've just tested in, starts at 46-47% bypassed, then to 61-62% enabled.
So some projects it's averaging around 15-20% cpu usage, that's more acceptable, if that's the norm.

Still looking to hear from the Fab Guys though, when they have read this.

Cheers,

King

KING

Hi King,

Sorry for the late response. I've done a lot of optimization work for Pro-R in Auria and this is how far I could take it without altering the algorithm and changing the sound.

However, what I noticed is that measuring the CPU usage with just one track is not reliable: it will be relatively high because the iPad throttles down its CPU speed if it doesn't need to do much work (to save the battery). So you could get a reading of 45%. But if you then add more instances of Pro-R, the percentage per instance goes down a lot. On the iPad Pro, I got around 5% per instance for 8 instances which seemed very reasonable. So I would suggest to test the CPU usage with a project that stresses the iPad a bit more. This also explains why it acts differently in different projects as you found out.

The iPad Mini 2 is of course way less powerful than the iPad Pro...

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hey Frederik,

Its funny, last night I put Pro-R on a project that I had previous, and the CPU hardly moved. It went up only around 3-5%.(38-40% --> 3-5%) big difference.
When I saw that I smiled :)
Seeing this also reminded me of Saturn, I believe it did a similar thing, cant remember the details.

I know what you mean regarding the more the merrier (Tracks) etc..
I'm gonna (when I get the chance) do some more full experiments, if I find anything else to add to what you have said, I'll update this thread for others.

All in all, great plugin.

(((Pro-R-everb)))

Cheers Guys,

King

King

Reply to this topic: