FabFilter User Forum

Sidechain in Audition CC 2015

Hi there,

I do a podcast in Adobe Audition CC (Creative Cloud member, keeping it up to date), and I also bought the Fabfilter Pro bundle to improve the sound of the end product. Very happy with the plugins!

However, during the intro, there is some music, and a quick voiceover saying what episode number it is and the date it was recorded.

Currently I lower the volume of the music track manually (using gain keyframes in the Audition multitrack editor), and it sounds ok. But what I would really like is to use Pro-Q2 or Pro-MB to duck only the frequencies in my voice.

I can of course do this with the built in dynamics processing plugin, but hey, I bought the FabFilter ones, I wanna use them as far as possible. :)

So on the track that the voiceover is on, I create a send, to a sidechain, and create one for the plugin already on the channel. Either Q2 or MB, doesn't matter.

I then set the settings I want in the plugin.

The result, however, is that no matter if there is no audio on the channel (areas where no clip is defined), if there is a clip but there is silence, or if there is a clip and there is talk, the plugin will fire and compress/equalize. It doesn't matter if the volume of the sidechain is above or below the treshold in MB, it compresses always. And when I turn on that option, I can see the read visualization of the audio coming from the voiceover, so there is no doubt that the plugin does see the correct audio.

I am aware of the ancient issue with sidechaining into Audition before - that issue is not the one I am talking about.

Did anyone successfully do sidechain with Audition and the FabFilter plugins like this? If not, anything I can do to help figure out why it doesn't work?

Thanks!

Rune Jacobsen

Interesting nugget: I searched the forum and saw that someone else had done side chain ducking using Pro-C2 and Audition, so I tested that - and it works!

Now, I would prefer to do this with Q2 or MB (reduce just the frequencies where the voice is), but compression is better than nothing.

But this begs the question - any reason why the side chain trigger works on C2, but not Q2 or MB?

Rune Jacobsen

Aight, so after doing some more research I have come to the conclusion that Pro-Q2 does not support triggering on a sidechain input, while I can get it working with Pro-MB by boosting the range of the band by the same amount as I pull it down.

So this was basically caused by a misunderstanding of the workings of the plugins.

If I could have a wish, it was the Pro-Q2 would allow me to trigger on the sidechain input to trigger the EQ, but at least I can do what I want with MB. :)

Rune Jacobsen

Reply to this topic: