FabFilter User Forum

EDM Gate Effect

Hi

For an EDM Track,
I'm trying to achieve the popular gate effect (on a bar in the track).,
I used Pro-G for that. Looked me like the nature choice for this task.

However I can't achieve the sharpness and immediate I hear on the known famous tracks using this effect.

Obviously I set the Release and Attack super fast, even turned on the look ahead. but still the gate isn't opened and closed immediately, hence doesn't generate the effect as I imagine it.

Any hint or guidance for what else can I configure into achieve this desired EDM gate effect?

Thanks!
Booli.

Booli

Better to use volume automation because that is synced perfectly to the tempo and gates are synced to the dynamics. Trance gates don't actually use gating plugins, it's just referring to the character of the sound opening and closing based on a pattern.

If you must, I'd put fast release and lookahead. Use an external sidechain input with a predictable signal, such as a sine wave or ghost kick. If you've ever conducted EDM sidechain compression, you'll know what I mean. Finally adjust threshold and set attack so it grooves with the track (not necessarily the fastest, if both A and R are too fast the effect might be wrong).

Booli

Reply to this topic: