FabFilter User Forum

Tips on Using Q2 For Audio Repair

HI There:
Yesterday, I recorded a bunch of live sets at a festival. I didn't know ahead of time that there were going to be sound folks there helping the bands out, which is natural, but it seems the main sound guy wasn't versed on how I could hook up my portable recorder to any suitable inputs. To be fair, I didn't have a line-in cable. I would have brought one, if I had known.

Anyway, the recorder is a Tascam DR-07 with a built-in mic setup. In the end, the music sounded great....but it was mainly female vocalists, a lot of them in a rock/punk style.

I have only done this once before with a friend's band who wanted me to record her, but had similar issues back then. I was able to use Adobe Audition to elevate the vocals, and the band was pretty pleased.

But now I want to try the fixes using Q2. I have read that the female EQ sits between 165-250Hz, and I have played with Adobe's built-in EQ. It was decent, but I want to try and do better. For kicks, I used another audio application called Sound Studio, because it's less clutter than Audition. I opened up the Q2 plugin there, and played with its parametric EQ and the frequency knobs within the vocal range. Sounded like it's an improvement, but I also had to listen carefully to not roll off too much of the low end, yet just enough to keep the glue together.

So this is where I come to ask for some advice on how best to try and fix those vocals. Like I mentioned, I want to lift the vocals as best I can without taking much away from the power of the rock drums and guitars.

Thanks for reading; looking forward to your replies!
Velanche

Velanche

Reply to this topic: