FabFilter User Forum

Volcano 2

Brilliant work on some of the best plugins in the world. Thank you for making such wonderful and lightweight plugins that we can throw on every single track.

Couple questions regarding Volcano 2.

I wanted a notch filter today and couldn't find or make one in Volcano 2. With Volcano being arguably the most powerful filter plugin, was the notch filter left out on purpose? And is there any chance it can be added in a future update?

Also, the filter frequency range goes way beyond the audible range, from 4Hz up to 75kHz. Is there a particular reason for this also? Because I find it a bit "unusual" to deal with automation as the filter opens up before automation reaches max value.

Thanks very much.

Jake

You can actually "fake" a notch filter by selecting two filters in parallel, one HP and the other LP. Make sure the filters are in stereo configuration.
That said, I'd like an update with more filters. :)

As for automation and max cutoffs, another workaround, use an XY modsource to control the cutoff, you can limit the mod depth to a range that is more useful to you. Then automate the XY.

Bram

Hi Jake,

In a future update of Volcano we'd certainly consider adding more filter types. For now you can find a notch filter in Pro-Q 2 but it's a clean filter without the "edge" that the Volcano filters have.

The frequency goes up to 75 kHz because it already starts to affects the audible sound at that frequency, especially with a high peak (resonance) level.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Looking forward to the update for sure. Would love to have the additional option in Volcano 2 for sound design purposes. definitely looking for the "edge" and fun that volcano brings..

Thanks Frederik

Jake

Reply to this topic: