FabFilter User Forum

Saturn's Smudge effect seems random

Hi,

I'm using the Smudge distortion style in Saturn. I really like this effect, but it sounds different each time I play the same bars in my arrangement.

Does this algorithm use a random number generator or something like that? Is it possible to seed it to make sure it sounds the same each time?

To provide a bit more detail: I'm using Ableton Live, and have added a Saturn on one of my tracks. I've automated the mix to 0% except for a few bars where it's set to 100%. If I start playback right before these bars, the smudge sounds in a particular way. If I then stop it and start playback again right before these same bars, the effect sounds completely different.

Anders

Hi Anders,

The Smudge effect is not random, but it maintains a running state, which causes the effect that you're describing. The state is reset when the host resets the plugin. With VST2, this for example happens when you disable and then re-enable the plugin.

I suspect that if you disable and enable the plugin via automation just before the few bars where the mix is 100%, you'll get reproducible results. Can you try that?

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Hi Frederik,

Sorry for the late reply, but this did indeed work nicely. Thanks a lot for your help. and thanks for making awesome plugins! :)

Anders

Reply to this topic: