FabFilter User Forum

EQ Match as Audiosuite in Pro Tools??

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could give me a step-by-step guide on how to use the EQ Match function as an Audiosuite in Pro Tools. I am working with various dialogue tracks and constantly on the move.

(I know how to use it as an inserted plugin but I need to use it as an Audiosuite in order to render it to the clip I am trying to fix.)

Thanks!

Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Currently you can't do this because there's no way to hook up the side chain in AudioSuite mode as far as I know.

For a future update, we are looking into adding a way to save and restore spectrum "footprints" so you don't have to have the side chain and the main input working at the same time.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

This would be awesome! I tried to use it in AudioSuite also, thinking I could correct multiple takes on one track.. poor instance, getting one take to sound like another where the vocalist might've been position differently and the frequency response between the takes wasn't the same. So I looked into seeing if I could adjust multiple takes on one track, but it wasn't possible without putting a take on a separate track and feeding into the side chain.

Being able to use it in AudioSuite would be awesome.

Joseph Lyons

Is this feature still not available using Audio Suite? It looks like all the tools are available, but I can't seem to get audio into the side-chain part. If not, then it would be great (and simple) in audio suite if it was sampling the Input and side chain at the same time.

You would then simply "record" enable one at a time. First with the input enabled - select the destination audio, hit the audio suite play button. and let it sample until you like it, Then disable the input recording, stop the audio suite playback and enable the Side-chain. Select the source audio, the hit the audio suite playback button. Once you disable the sidechain recording, you would see the matches - and go form there.

That would make the most sense... but, it doesn't seem to work at all.

Thomas Brewer

Hi Thomas,

My apologies for the late reply. I've just tried it in Pro Tools 12 and the side chain does work with AudioSuite. The only caveat is that the audio to be used as the key input has to occur at the same time in the timeline, and the Selection Reference needs to be set to "playlist", not "clip list". This explains why it wasn't working for you.

In the Analyzer controls, first make sure SC is enabled, then use the Preview button to start auditioning. If everything is set up correctly, you should see both the input (white curve) and sidechain input (red curve) in the display. Now you can engage EQ Match to sample both inputs at the same time.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Try this:

(Copied from my GS post)

Use the pause feature for either the source or side chain when analyzing the match EQ.

Assuming you use Pro Tools:
Use the audio suite version of the plugin and select your source region. Set the Dx track as the side chain source too. Hit play in the AS window (the little speaker). Select your Dx that you want to "correct" (the section that sounds bad) and match. Let it loop once or twice. Hit pause. Then select the section you want to use as your match "source" (the section that sounds good) and hit the red record circle on the side chain section in the match analyzer. Let it loop once or twice and the match button will illuminate. Then you're all set. Adjust to taste and move to the next clip.

Takes longer to read than to do. The pause feature is covered in the help section of the plugin manual too. Audiosuite is the quickest way I've found to use this - 2 tracks is a bit slow for the way I like to work but as always, YMMV.

Travis

I've tried this with both non-Audio Suite and Audio Suite and using it with Audio Suite seems to process less desired results. Since you have to have a piece of the "good" audio running at the same time as the "bad" audio you can't sample the "good" audio for that long. It seems better to sample the "good" audio for awhile then you get a much better curve. Then match. Try for yourself. It really doesn't take much longer and it yields better results.

Chris

Reply to this topic: