FabFilter User Forum

Fabfilter Pro-Q2 + Pro-L + Cubase 7.5 = Crash

I've been using the demo versions of these plugins and I love them so far. However, I appear to have stumbled on to a serious bug when using these plugins together, which causes cubase to crash.

I can't be 100% sure of the cause, but as an experienced cubase/PC user (and occasional beta tester) I've narrowed it down:
- it only happens with multiple instances of fabfilter plugins opened (I leave the pro-l opened in my cubase template - using workspaces)
- I'm 100% certain a fabfilter problem, as when I remove fabfilter plugins in a existing project that crashed, the project no longer crashes.
- It seems GUI related, as moving the plugin window prior to a crash causes stuttering and sluggish behavior. That's usually when it crashes
- it happens in both x64 and x86 versions of cubase (not a memory problem)
- It seems to build up to a crash over the course of a few mins (never at the same time, but always happens after a few mins)

In short, I love the plugins, but will NOT be buying them until this bug is fixed. I actually started a project with them (the ultimate test) because I thought I could use them for 30 days, but since they're this unstable, I was forced to remove and replace them.

DAW:
Win7 x64 SP1,
i7 930
6GB DDR3
Intel SSD
GF GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Cubase 7.5.30 x64
Latest patches and drivers
100% Stable and working PC

Please fix this. And let me know when you do... ;)

T-Dawg

Very strange! We use Cubase 7.5 ourselves without any problems. Could you try to disable graphics acceleration to see if that fixes the problem?
www.fabfilter.com/support/faq/18/how-can-i-disable-graphics-acceleration-on-my-computer

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I have the same Problem as described by T-Dawg. With ProQ2 and ProL (Full Versions). The Problem is gone, when i turn of the live-spectrum display of Pro-L. When turned on, Cubase sometimes completely freezes for several seconds. I will do some tests and give feedback about the results. Also, if the problem occurs with ProMB and Saturn.
DAW:
Win7 x64 SP1
i5 3570
16 GB DDR3
Geforce GT640 2GB
Soundblaster Z
Cubase 7.5.30 x64
Latest patches and drivers
100% stable and working PC

Corlanus

The Problem seems to be gone. In the last Days i changed some Settings of the nVidia-Driver (less quality but more speed). No other Chages were made. Perhaps i can find out, what special setting caused the freeze of Cubase. I will do some Tests in the next Days.

Corlanus

Great, please keep us posted!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

A few Days ago, i updated to Cubase Pro 8 (64bit). I opened the Test-Project with PQ2, ProMB and ProL. If they are visible all together, the freezing is still there :-\ I made no Changes to the Graphics-Drivers since my last post (09.11.2014). I will search again and keep you informed.

Corlanus

When i switch off the Graphics Acceleration (of the plugins), the Problem is gone. The Freezing only happens while: (1)opening 3 or more instances (2)moving one of the plugins windows. I can reproduce it with: ProL,ProC,ProMB,ProQ2 and Saturn. With just a single plugin-type or with mixed types. With Saturn i only have to open 6 Instances (visible) without doing anything else and the System freezes all 3-5 seconds. With turned off Graphics Acceleration: 6xSaturn=no Problem.
That are my results so far. Is there something else i should test?

Corlanus

We'll try to reproduce the problem! Can you send us your test project?

Thanks,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Reply to this topic: