FabFilter User Forum

Issue with Plugin Names in Mixer

I keep forgetting to make this request.

When I am looking at the inserts in my DAW's mixer all I see is "FabFilt" all over the place. I use your plugins a lot, but ... looking at my mixer I have no idea which plugins they are because the names are all truncated before getting to the actual plugin name.

I promise if you remove your company name from your plugin (following the convention of most other companies) that I will not forget who makes the plugins that I am using. :)

So instead of FabFilter Pro-Q, which just displays as FabFilt, I would much prefer the name of the plugin simply be Pro-Q.

Cheers!

Greg Houston

Hi Greg,

Which host are you using? Some hosts, like Pro Tools, actually shorten the plugin name in an intelligent way to address this issue.

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

Cubase 7.5.10 x64 on Windows 7 x64

Greg Houston

I also got this issue in the mixer of PreSonus Studio One 2. All I see is 'FabFilter Pro-' and never know what plugin is there.

Will I do something wrong if I rename the dll's in the plugins folder to 'FF Pro-..'?

e@rs

That might work; some hosts use the DLL name (Cubase) but others don't.

Maybe you all could write to your host manufacturer to ask them if they can intelligently abbreviate plugin names in the mixer. :-)

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

I found this thread because of the same problem.
I'm happy to report that I was able to simply remove "FabFilter" from the plugin names in the .dll files and the truncated names now show in Cubase 7 without problems. Plugins inserted before the name change load up successfully also. :-)

Now if only I could do the same with my T-Racks plugins! They don't show at all after a name change. :-/

Dave Glynn

Thanx Dave for letting us know. I will probably do the same. Did you try renaming the VST3s as well?

Guess one problem will appear when you'll want to uninstall the plugins to update to new versions. The uninstaller will leave the renamed .dll's in place, so I guess they have to be deleted manually.

e@rs

Hi e@rs.
I don't have the VST3 versions installed I'm afraid.
Yes we'll see how it goes on the next updates. :-)

Dave Glynn

"Maybe you all could write to your host manufacturer to ask them if they can intelligently abbreviate plugin names in the mixer."

When an aftermarket bolt doesn't fit your car you don't contact the automaker to ask if they will change the car to fit your bolt.

Greg Houston

So Floris, any chance that future releases lose the 'FabFilter ' from the .dll's as the op suggested?

I'll also try to notice PreSonus about this issue.

e@rs

Ouch, sorry, I meant 'So Frederik...'!

e@rs

There are several problems with that. We can't really change the name of current plugins in an update because that could break backwards compatibility. At the very least the installer would need to scan for the previous version of the plugin and remove that when installing the update. A potential minefield.

We could also do it for new plugins alone, but I think that would be kind of ugly.

Last but not least, the name of the plugin really is "FabFilter Pro-Q" for example. We do intend FabFilter to be part of the name.

I honestly do think that hosts should allow a little more room in the inserts menu and/or intelligently abbreviate it like Pro Tools does (it removes vowels for example, making "FbFltrPrQ" if it doesn't have enough space).

In the past we have made the decision to name our plugins e.g. "FF Pro-Q" for Audio Units. We could follow that for the other plugin formats as well (with the caveats outlined above) but I've never really liked it.

Hope this explains our thinking!

Cheers,

Frederik (FabFilter)

"I honestly do think that hosts should allow a little more room in the inserts menu and/or intelligently abbreviate it like Pro Tools does (it removes vowels for example, making "FbFltrPrQ" if it doesn't have enough space)."

This wouldn't help. Instead of seeing "FabFilt" I would see "FbFltrP".

Greg Houston

Got it solved for Studio One.

If someone's interested here's the link to the topic:
forums.presonus.com/posts/list/46122.page

e@rs

PreSonus moved the topic to Archive.
New link:
forumsarchive.presonus.com/posts/list/46122.page

e@rs

I know this is two years old, but that presonus link above doesn't work and I'm having the same issue. So can someone tell me how to rename or shorten my plugin names in studio one?

Andre

At least in Windows 64bit, go to C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\PreSonus\Studio One 3\x64 and open the file Plugins-en.settings with Notepad. For each plugin there's a field that looks like this:

<ClassDescription classID="{C3B68142-C798-46F2-82B7-3CABDF139076}" category="AudioEffect" name="FabFilter Pro-MB" subCategory="VST3/Dynamics">

Simply change what's between quotes after name= to whatever you like. If you have a different OS the location of that file may be different, but it should be somewhere around there.

Cheers,

Cabirio

PS: that's for vst3. If for some reason you use the vst2 versions, the file is Vstplugins.settings.

Cheers,

Cabirio

Reply to this topic: